Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  How do I tame Peafowl down?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
Kalahari Desert Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote

When I purchased my peafowl, they were all but almost wild. I'd like to tame them down so that I can at least approach within a foot, but am not sure where to start. I've been sitting outside with them in their pen for a few hours at various times of the day, and they seem to be relaxing around me, but I was hoping someone might have some more suggestions on what to do.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote

Have you tried bribing them with treats? Idea They love pieces of bread, chopped
hard boiled eggs, and many kinds of raw garden vegetables.
My peafowls seem to apreciate the fact that I have tried hard to learn their
language

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote

I can get close to mine but not a foot. I would have to catch them. The only time I get close is when they are inside the shed. They all come running when I have a treat but still not to close. Only the chicks can I get close to but only certain ones and I hatched them out LOL If you spend a lot of time with one or two when they hatch you will be able to get close to those until they are put in with others. Once they see the others run they run from you too Rolling Eyes I have 2 charcoal females who get picked on from the others and they come to me when scared for protection but that is all.

Last edited by Yoda on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friedrich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Hi
give them every day some hacked peanuts but not to much otherwise they will be fat ! If they know the taste of peanuts they would like eat only peanuts and nothing else more.
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote

It just takes time, patience and treats. And add a little more time! If your birds were adults when they came to you, you're probably looking at a little longer than usual. A few years ago we got a couple of yearling hens that had almost no experience with humans. It took 2 years before they would sit beside me and eat from my hand. And that was after spending time with them (and basically ignoring them at first) every day. It also helps if you have a tame bird who can show the new kid that you're not to be feared. Good luck and enjoy the process!

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote

I bought RoyAl Blue at a poultry auction in February 1989 (a bad place
to buy poultry) Embarassed He looked about two years old.
After I brought him home I discovered at least a dozen stick tight fleas
on his face Shocked
There was deep sore on his head from being pecked by other poultry
and somebody had pulled out some of the flight feathers from one of
his wings. He was one abused shy bird. Even so he soon learned to
accept treats from my hand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote

All right, thanks guys! I've been offering some treats now and then, and I've finally gotten the hen to come up to me within a few feet (granted though that's with me sitting down and not moving Razz , but hey, it's still progress.)The cock is still just as flighty as ever, but hopefully he'll get better after watching the hen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion