Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  worming
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
jimmoss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote

What do you suggest about worming--what do you use? Now , I have peafowl and Lady amherst and golden red pheasants and chickens all living togetehr-I have two peahens sitting. When should i worm and what with--and should i wait until hatching is over?

Thanks for your help in advance

Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote

I use safeguard liquid for goats and put a tablespoon in a gallon of water. I treat for six days but I treat more aggressively than other people do. I do this probably every 3 months and work around mating season. Its my understanding that birds are not fertile for 10 days after safeguard dosing. I have chicks that are 4 and 5 weeks old, have not treated them yet for worms. However, their poop has been checked by my vet and it was clear for parasites, except coccidia. So rechecking poop in another 10 following their six day treatment for coccidia.

They are are medicated chick starter so they never had any symptoms.

jimmoss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote

tHANKS

Zenith49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote

My chicks are two months old and have been eating medicated starter. I assume I need to worm them, but am clueless as to what I should get and how often I should use it. Is wormer available at the feed store or do I have to consult a vet? I've seen various timings listed as to how often to worm. I don't suppose there is a consensus Smile

Anyway, TIA
Z.

DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

I start worming my chicks around 7 to 8 weeks old I use safe-guard for goats I put 3 to 4 cc per gal of water for 3 to 4 days. If it a dry summer I wormed ever month if we get alot of rain I treat them for worm ever 3 weeks. I also treat all my peachicks with metronidazole for blackhead ever week. Breeders need to be wormed 2 to 3 times a year I use 5 cc of safe-guard for 3 to 4 days. Safe-guard will not hurt the fertility during laying season.
Doug
Zenith49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Just to be clear: you use a product intended for goats to worm peas? Do you get it from a vet or is it available elsewhere?

Sorry to sound stupid, but I guess that's what I am.

Z.

DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote

There is no wormer on the market that is for peafowl. Safe-guard is one of the wormers that is used for peafowl. You can get it at most feed stores or at tractor supply.
Zenith49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

DMFarms wrote:
There is no wormer on the market that is for peafowl. Safe-guard is one of the wormers that is used for peafowl. You can get it at most feed stores or at tractor supply.

Thanks for the reply. Now I get it and I'll be sure to find some Safe-guard soon.

Z.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care