Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Straddle-legged guinea keet
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote

A few days before the new peababies hatched, the 33 feral guinea eggs started popping out keets. We ended up with 24 keets, which are romping and running around a big borrowed stock tank (I ran out of stock tanks for chicks!).

Eventually we noticed that one of the keets was straddle-legged. It wasn't improving, so this afternoon, I tried taping its legs together with a hobble brace.

I am not sure exactly how many days old this chick is -- I have an idea that it may have been the last one hatched, which had to be helped out of the shell, but there's no way to tell. So it may have been born Monday morning, or maybe Tuesday -- last week was pretty overwhelming at work and I lost track in the general confusion... Rolling Eyes

Now that the keet is taped up in the hobble brace, how long is it going to need to stay taped up? I know it probably would have been a shorter time, had I realized the problem and taken action sooner Sad But am hoping it isn't too late to fix this. The earliest chicks hatched Saturday, or maybe sometime Friday. So this keet is somewhere between 5 and 8 days old, and I do think maybe it was the last one, because it really did have a hard time.

I'm figuring I should leave the leg brace on for a day or two -- any one have any suggestions for when to take it off and check?

Thanks!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Well, 24 hours in the leg hobbles sort of brought one leg in, but the other not so much. The keet is still walking on its hocks and not getting around well. Sad

Ideas? Could this be tendon problem rather than the splayed leg problem?

Thanks,

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote

I have found that doing orthopedics of baby guineas is NOT easy. I had greater
success at repairing pea/guinea hybrids ...but the patients died of pnuemonia or
something Confused Embarassed
But if you would send me photo of your guinea's legs I would be glad to give
my opinion.
Hey, I almost missed finding your post but was sitting here winding down my
nerves after a bad day AND some tricky work on a baby chicken of my own.
Due to a shortage of incubating chickens as well as a cash shortage I tried
making some in that Lyon TX-7 that I found on the ground in front of dumpster
box and refurbished several years ago and then lost it in the clutter of my
house. Embarassed The father of my chicks is from a long line of good incubating chickens.
----
or if you do not want to send photo to me you could post it here Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry