Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Chicken egg in the peahen nest
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page 1, 2  Next    
yag113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote

When Patty stood up today I noticed one of her 9 eggs is a chicken egg. She has been sitting 20 days which means that chicken egg should hatch real soon (chickens=21 days to hatch as opposed to the peas 28 days). Is this going to be an issue? Will it put her off her schedule? Should I remove the chicken egg right now and put it in the incubator. I put 5 of the pea eggs in tha bator when patty started sitting since I felt 9 was more than enough for her to sit on.

Also she is in one corner of the chicken house. It's quiet during the day because the chickens, guineas are out in the yard but they do go in at night. Should I sequester her close to hatch day? I can easily put a large wire pen over top of her without disturbing her to keep her and the babies separated from the other poultry!

Thanks! Hoping these eggs will hatch. Last year she sat and they were duds but this year she and her mate are 3 and I saw a lot of mating going on
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote

I think you should remove the chicken egg right away. My intuition, not actual experience with this particular issue is telling me that.

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I have to agree with getting the chicken egg out of there for the good of all
concerned. I would suggest candling that egg, too.
One reason to get it out of there is that chicken eggshell is thinner and you
do NOT want a messy broken egg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for weighing in regarding the one chicken eggs under Patty. I got it out apparently just in time...stuck in the incubator that was already up and running and it hatched...new chicken and meanwhile Patty didn't seem to miss a beat.

New questions...she is sitting on her eggs in the chicken/pea/guinea house where most everyone roosts at night. I tried within 24 hours of when she first started sitting to move her to the attached pea area w/ eggs where there is a nice high pea roost and doghouse and door which can be closed to separate that area but she didn't wouldn't sit back down so I immediately moved her and the eggs back to the spot she chose. Now it is near hatching date... Sunday will be 28 days. I am afraid of the eggs hatching w/ all the other birds around so I thought I would put a cage/crate/partition around her with small wire so the babies can't get out and so she can hatch them safely. My question is, once they hatch can I move her and the babies to the pea area where they will be safe but have more room to move and run around without any of the other birds to worry about?

Also, would the male, her mate, hurt the babies? I figure the answer is maybe?

Also, I have 5 pea eggs in the incubator which I put in the day she started nesting. If they hatched would they (the chicks) be better off if I put them w/ her babies...?? The last time she sat the eggs were duds. I am hoping some of these are not but I did not get around to candling...and yes, I should have so she didn't waste a month sitting. I am a wildlife rehabber and this time of year is soooo busy. Excuses excuses.....

Would love some input. I deal with all kinds of baby animals...just got a vulture chick two days ago... but I have never hatched peas...and I adore my peas.

Thanks!

Gay from The Eastern Shore of Virginia aka Shore Wildlife Rehab
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote

The first time I had a genuine peahen mother....I let her stay where she was and
exiled everybody else until her"babies" were at least half grown.
Last summer when Malpo hatched Crescent ....just as soon as his chick fuzz was dry
I moved them to a place prepared for them. This was a tension fraught moment for
all concerned. Baby Crescent was frightened. Mother Malpo almost suspected that
Crescent was not the peachick that she had hatched (actually two died) but after
some tense moments of glaring suspiciously "bonding" occurred Cool
Failure to bond results in baby being murdered or abandonned so it IS a BIG deal.
-----------------
A few years ago Firstborn hatched five peachicks under perch. After dark I collected those
peachicks into a small Pet Taxi and carried them to small coop, leaving them in the Taxi
while I went back for Firstborn. Firstborn was helped out of eggshell and treated for
straddle legs so she was a hand raised pet. So she was as easy to handle as any peafowl
can be.
-----
About those extra peachicks from incubator.....you must use extreme caution and
observe to see if "bonding" occurs. If not then they must be rescued "right now or sooner".

Here in Georgia I have to sprinkle "powder" around any egg that is going to hatch on
the ground or the FIRE ANTS will kill the baby the instant the first tiny hole is pipped in
the eggshell. gaah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Thank you... good information! Maybe best to let Patty hatch her eggs secured and give her a while... 1 or 2 weeks...and then move her?
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote

You are welcome. Since I can not see how your coop is arranged I do not know
what to tell you. Since you were able to remove that chicken egg without starting
World War III ........I would suggest borrowing Patty's eggs one at a time and candling
them. That is unless by now pipping has occurred. In warm climate peahen eggs can
hatch in TWENTY SIX days.
A couple of years ago I candled Kid's eggs at day 12 and found all of them infertile.
This saved Kid from setting full term for nothing. Actually since birds do not count
days a poor bird can set for a very long time on infertile eggs.....or a poor chicken
may work two or three months as I keep removing eggs three days before hatch
date Confused with her only reward being that she is owned by somebody that will not
cook her or sell her.
Since you are familiar with other species of birds you must use what you know
to decide what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote

26 days....yikes, that would be tomorrow! I'd best get secured today. I have one of those large open wire dog or animals crates without a bottom. I covered it in rat wire (hardware cloth.... never understood why they call it that since it's wire, not cloth and it isn't hardware!)... anyway, I covered it with that a few years back when I had some baby chickens. Since it has no bottom I can just set it over her....there is enough for food and to turn around a stretch her legs...then I'll move her w/ the babies once they are hatched...with any luck.

I have food and water right next to her but I never see her eating. I've been taking her meal worm snacks.... she does eat them but I haven't seen her off that nest at all. Do they eat when they are sitting?
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

A hen or peahen can hear pecking and peeping of babies inside the egghell and will
not move during hatching.
After Malpo hatched Crescent last summer and they survived the trauma of being
moved....she sat on him until he was walking around. I provided small tip proof
dishes of food and water. I provided chick starter medicated with Amprolium.
But when I brought out the bread and hard boiled egg Malpo ate like she was
starving. She never did show much interest in sharing with Crescent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote

Well... everything changed today. I went to segregate her and saw she was doing something strange.... gapping with her mouth and then saw one eye was all gunky and runny. I threw the eggs in the incubator, threw her in a crate and raced to the vet. They flushed the eye, listened to her chest which sounded clear and thought she had been pecked by another bird. By the time I got back home I knew it was more than that...it sounded respiratory. I went of the forum here and saw a post about upper respiratory infection from dust...also a post about gape worms....??? Anyway, I think she has a respiratory infection and called the vet back and started her on baytril. Meanwhile she got back and acted like she didn't want to sit when I brought her eggs back out.... then after I put them back in the incubator she went back to her nesting spot and sat.... so sad...so I brought 3 of the eggs back out...she took he beak, moved them around and sat back down. The poor thing is feeling very poorly. Both eyes are runny from the infection... I don't know what to do! After giving her the baytril and some antibiotic eye ointment I left her and the 3 eggs where she wanted to be with the confinement carte over her. Any suggestions.... I am soupset... I have 5 peas... 3 rescues, sort of wild and my Patty and Micah. I love Patty so much and I feel terrible.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote

OUCH......a rock and a hard place Confused
if Patty is ill then the important thing is to try to restore her health. When removing
her eggs to incubator they should be rinsed in warm water and dried with a clean
towel before putting them in incubator hopefully avoiding carrying infection from
the peahen to the incubator.
Then concentrate on poor Patty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote

I thought yesterday despite her distress that she was inclined to sit on the 3 eggs I gave back to her. This AM I see she is no so inclined but that's OK. As you said, the important thing now is Patty. I have ophthalmic antibiotic for the eyes and baytril tablets. The vet seemed to think they would be as effective as injection (which can cause problems in birds at the injection site) and since Patty was and is handled by me constantly I can manage to get a pill in her...not that she is happy about it but it's doable without getting slashed open. BIGH SIGH.... like I said, I am a wildlife rehabber and am somewhat used to dealing w/ animals in distress but it's different when it's your own pet!

I am not going to worry about those 3 eggs. At this point I'm afraid to put them in the incubator for fear they'll start to hatch and then stop or there will be something wrong??? I have 10 others in the incubator and w/ any luck I'll see some new life on or around tomorrow or Sunday...if they were fertile.

I repost regarding Patty. This forum has been very useful on my peafowl journey that started 3 years ago and it is a comfort to be able to reach out to others who know and adore these birds.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote

I do NOT see how I lived without a candler for so many years. Confused
Just as soon as I had my first one it was like turning on the light
for the first time Idea
CANDLE THOSE EGGS.
And save those three eggs if they have pea chicks in them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote

I stuck them in the incubator.... we shall see...I don't know how long they can go and she may not have sat on them through the night.

Re the candler...is it a special tool? I went on line and looked a photos of people using maglights... I guess there is a learning curve regarding what you see and what it is?
yag113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Also, do you have any experience w/ insectrim / permethrin dust ...it says it's a general purpose livestock and poultry dust. I was talking to a friend who has chickens and she uses seven dust??? That sounded a little chemically to me. I was going to clean out the bird house and thought of putting it in the bedding material on the floor.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page 1, 2  Next