Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  The Peacocks that just........."arrived"
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
Manes

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Here are the two Peacocks that just 'showed up' at my place on Tuesday.

What kind would you say they are? My camera isn't the greatest~!! One of them has yellow on his face where the white is, the bigger one has the yellow. The other one has just white around the eyes.

Thanks for looking and helping me identify them. Very Happy
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote

Im not the best person for this but I will guess, then see how far out I am

But my Guess is , the one with the yellow in its cheek is a high percentage Spalding of some sort , can't really tell from that picture and the other, it to looks like it could have some green in it. as well as some white , just by the white flight feathers , not sure what else it would be bred to , so I hope someone as a better educated guess than mine

Desert Wind
Manes

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote

Desert Wind wrote:
Im not the best person for this but I will guess, then see how far out I am

But my Guess is , the one with the yellow in its cheek is a high percentage Spalding of some sort , can't really tell from that picture and the other, it to looks like it could have some green in it. as well as some white , just by the white flight feathers , not sure what else it would be bred to , so I hope someone as a better educated guess than mine

Desert Wind

Thank you for your reply. The one laying down with the coppery color under it's wing does have a bit more of a turquoisey green color to it's neck than the bigger one with the green neck and yellow around the eye. They also both have a white streak on the wings. You can see the white on both in this first picture I took of them the day they arrived.

And here's some I took this morning. I did let them out of the coop. They seemed very calm and content in there, though. They never got excited while I was in there taking pictures and just calmly walked out.

They both have an irridescent green/blue/ purple hue to the feathers on their backs when the lighting is right, but I can't pick that up with my camera. Sad

Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote

I see the one with out yellow has a white throat latch which also tells me that it is a pied as well but the one with the yellow im still not sure , would like to see some close up pics of the white spot on its side , if possable I would keep them pened up till at least the end of breeding season , for when you release them then they just might stick around , but treat them at night inside there pen and let them out in the Morning

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote

wow you lucky thing.. I'd have choked on my coffee if something like that were to show up here..keep em..
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Oh boy I agree with silvergramma! I would be flipping out! I agree about the one with the white on its neck being split to white possibly. It is definately a high % spalding. It looks like a peahen.

The other one with the yellow face I find really really really interesting! In the photo you have of them off in a distance the yellow faced one does have that white patch like you were talking about...This bird looks very green...It could be a green peahen with that weird feather problem going on. Some greens that are pure have this problem were they will randomly get a few white feathers... Although the face does look a bit questionable...Green peafowl do have the yellow on their face but something about the face looks a bit off. I would definatley love to see some close ups of her face if you can get some. Even her tail has the green with the stripes just like a green peahen would have so if she isn't a pure green peahen she is a VERY high % spalding. More so then the other bird.

You are very lucky to have these two peahens show up!

Here is a link to some photos of pure green peafowl:
http://www.peafowl-farm.com/Home-English/Our-Peafowl/Pavo-Muticus-Muticus-E/pavo-muticus-muticus-e.html
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS