Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  INCUBATION INTERRUPTED
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Things are "slower than molasses running uphill in January"
(words from my long departed Pennsylvania Dutch Grammaw)
Got first peahen egg March 25 and put it under my red hand
biter. But a few days later she lost interest and I had to
hastily move the chilled egg to the bearded barred rock bantam
that lives in peafowl pen next to jungle that used to be Mother's
well kept garden. There were no more peahen eggs until tonight.
I almost decided to leave that new egg in the corner where it
was layed considering that I had candled that first egg and found
it infertile.
As I approached the covered nest box where the bearded barred
rock bantam was setting I noticed her strange posture....
and then I saw THE SNAKE Shocked .....OK, this old retired Tae
Kwon Do instructor is programmed to not be afraid of snakes
but I do have very strong feelings about the life and health of
my poultry which is why I became a bit shaky AFTER I had pounded
the head of the gray rat snake extra flat using the hammer side of
a single bitted hatchet on a tiny anvil that I made when I was
younger. This reptile was MORE THAN FIVE FEET LONG even
though it refused to be pulled straight :jawdrop

I had to put down my battery lantern to pull the monster away from
the hen that it was gripping in its coils before dragging it to my
tools. I do NOT enjoy killing a snake and still remember how I felt
after watching Mother flatten the head of a snake that she found
right after she had asked me what had killed a two week old chicken
of hers. I found bruises on the chick's wingtips. Its head and neck
were moist with feathers laying in wrong direction from failed attempt
to swallow it.
But my bantam is MUCH better off in a pet box in my kitchen.
But I do not know what to do next. I do not feel that her nest box
is safe because there may be more snakes in that jungle.
It is doubful that the bantam wants to set in the pet box.
Oh, arrrghhhhh gaah

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Maybe you should let some of your peahens set on some eggs?

I remember coming home from elementary school one day and when I got to the porch I saw a black snake with its head cut off lying there. I asked my mom about it and she said it was after the eggs that a little bird laid in the fern on our porch. I used to see a lot of snakes when I was younger but I don't see them in yards anymore. I think part of it is due to all the hawks that are around here.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Peahens are not ready to set. An egg needs to begin incubation
before it is a week old or all it is good for is egg salad.
----
Am oversupplied with peafowls and undersupplied with money Confused
so will just wait and see what happens next.
Am very glad that my bantam did not get killed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote

so ... as I drove up to the house my pops was sitting out by the peahens and I was immediately nervous. I got out of the car and he said, Cory, there is something I want to show you. I ran into the house to change my clothes and on my way out, my mom asks me did I see the snake ... LOL Mumzy always lets the cat out of the bag.

So I get outside and walk to the hen yard and my dad says that as he was driving up the drive way, he noticed that the peahens were standing looking into the nest and the rooster was justa squalling and cacking w/ his feathers all stuck out .... He said he knew something was wrong b/c these peahens that I have absolutely loathe the chickens and run them every chance they get but this time the rooster was in front of them and they were looking on. My dad grabbed the garden ho and went out to the nest b/c he knew it had to be a snake ... well ... it was a 5' chicken snake wrapped around the nest and trying to manuever one of the eggs into place to swallow it. My dad said his first mind was to bash his skull in, but then he remembered the eggs and so he just lifted him from the nest and removed his face. LOL SAD, but necessary. The hen flew from the pen and went to go dust and then flew back inside and crawled on her nest cautiously.

So ... I immediately sprayed the outside area of the pen alondside the woods with Diesel and took the tractor and pushed all cross-ties and brush further away from the fencing than was before and I have been waiting for the other to come along. These chicken snakes ALWAYS come in pairs and it is a matter of time before he shows up. I took a snap-shot of this miscreant but it is difficult to upload it to this site for some reason.

ANYWAY ... do any of you folks know of effective ways to deter snakes? My mother swears by mothballs, but I am do wary about them b/c they are actually sweet to the taste while my peacock loves to eat everything he can fit into his gullet. So, I am thinking to hang a few of them in a sock under the pen which stands 3ft from the ground. and encircle it w/ rabbit wire to keep him or his buddy Chickie, the game rooster from getting into it.

Any ideas or suggestions please let me know.

cory

Hello kidz !!! I am new to raising peafowl, I have been around agriculture all my life and always desired to raise Peafowl. I am just moving back from the Upper East Side of NYC and am ready to get back to what I love! AGRICULTURE!
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote

we have found that a good wide band of lime spread around the area you want to keep snakes out will keep them at bay, however you have to keep putting it down if it gets wet from the rain.
Hear Sulfur works too and is one ingredient in the snake away product you buy but not sure how safe it is for your birds if put down within your pens.

Curious, why the Diesel , is that supposed to help keep them away too ?

I've got a great dog that hangs around the pens and if a snake is anywhere near he has a very distinctive bark that lets us know, thankful for that !
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote

I found that the use of the small hole light weight plastic netting that is sold to keep birds off of your fruit trees works good if you roll up some and put it around the pens ..Snakes crawl into it and get hung up in the netting.,, I cought 3 one day all around 5 ft long.. worked for me but , got too many pens now to wrap... connerhills
Cory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote

burdgurl wrote:
we have found that a good wide band of lime spread around the area you want to keep snakes out will keep them at bay, however you have to keep putting it down if it gets wet from the rain.
Hear Sulfur works too and is one ingredient in the snake away product you buy but not sure how safe it is for your birds if put down within your pens.

Curious, why the Diesel , is that supposed to help keep them away too ?

I've got a great dog that hangs around the pens and if a snake is anywhere near he has a very distinctive bark that lets us know, thankful for that !

re... Diesel ... well friend, we have always sprayed diesel around implements that have set in the barn to prevent rust and vermin from setting up nests and things. The smell is absolutely offensive as well as the oils in the diesel tend to coat their scales and pretty much burn them.

we had a hen house that my pops covered with a tarp before adding the roofing and after months of collecting pine needles and water and leaves, it became a snakes den. There were 2 6' chicken snakes that had found their way up in a hole on the inside of the coop and would come down at night too; not eat the eggs, but feast on what started out to be 20 biddies and in the end resulted in about 9 Confused I was aboslutely bewildered and would often see large barred owls flying around at dusk, but these chicks would bed down at the floor of the hen house just under the nest boxes and I know that owls do not fly inside coops or for that much a pen.

so one day, I was trying to see if they were being hauled off by a opossum or something by looking for tracks or poo piles and looked inside the hen house and noticed that the tarp was hanging much more lower. WELL, I went and grabbed a large net and poked around and there I saw a large snakes belly pressed up against the tarp. SO, I of course ran freaked out and grabbed a 410 shot gun.

I was able to rip the tarp and these two fat bellied chicken snakes fell out onto the roosts and you could see them stuffed with my little babies Shocked I shot one's head off and the other attempted to get away and I threw gas on him and he KNOTTED himself up attempting to get the gas off of him. it was soooo weird. I had always heard my grandpa and great grandparents who were farmers say that gasoline burns the snakes skin, but I saw first hand of this. It was a sight.

So, the one that was beheaded I hauled off to go throw in an ant pile and thought to myself would it work on this one as well and IT DID. after being killed for hours, the gas caused this snake to twist and turn and ball itself up and knot it self up like it was still alive.

SOOOOO ... now I make sure I spray the diesel around to make sure it will stay with the oils and the smell does linger after days of being put down. Your grass will burn where the diesel is sprayer so be nice and neat and it will in fact keep skunks, raccoons, opossums and all other lurking sneaks AWAY!

My family lives out in the Big Thicket of Texas so ... we see quite a bit of everything around. So, it is not my deal to go killing snakes and things, but I have to take care of my babies who are penned up and nesting.

Hello kidz !!! I am new to raising peafowl, I have been around agriculture all my life and always desired to raise Peafowl. I am just moving back from the Upper East Side of NYC and am ready to get back to what I love! AGRICULTURE!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care