Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peachick feeding question
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Well, it's been a few years since I had chicks, and we never had any "late" ones. The hens hatched their own chicks and cared for them until maturity.

The new chicks hatched in August. They will live in the sunroom with a heat lamp thru the winter, and move outside in mid- late May. Because I've never raised chicks this way before, my question is this - under normal circumstances I'd feed chick starter for the first 4 months before the chicks were allowed loose on the ground with their mother. Should these kids be fed chick starter thru the winter, or should I switch over to adult feed around 4-5 months of age as usual?

I've read that chicks should receive the amprolium additive until they hit the ground, but these youngsters will be delayed. I'm also thinking about the protein difference between chick starter and Mazuri maintenance feed, but these two won't have any access to insects. They will be about 9 months old before they go to live outdoors. Any advice?

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote

Hi
I would just keep feeding them the med. Turkey Starter, that is all I feed for there main diet and I throw in Kelp meal , sunflower seed , second cut Alfalfa ( lots of leaves) and in the fall they get Pumpkins and summer they get all sorts of Fruit and Vegies

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote

My August 21 green spalding peachick unfortunately ended up as an "only child"
too young to be with older peachicks.....and my last few fertile eggs had
peachicks that went to the poultry graveyard. But two chicken eggs (one fourth
bantam and three forths bearded Easter egger) did hatch, starting small and
growing fast so that after a few weeks they were introduced carefully to the
peachick with no violence. This unlikely trio is now in a minicoop on posts that
puts its floor at waist level, keeping occupants off the soil.
This group is still getting some medicated chick starter along with scratch grain
and a few layer pellets. All of them rush to eat bread from my hands.
Will the two chickens be good peafowl egg incubating hens like their mother Question
NO............................
because they already crow gaah

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies - I appreciate you. One of my concerns was the protein difference between the feeds, and I didn't know whether it would be bad for the poults to keep them on starter feed until they are about 9 months old. ???

They're already outgrowing their poultry crates, so I pulled out a mastiff kennel for their new housing. I really wish I could just turn them loose in the sunroom, but that would be a disaster for the floor and furniture! I'd love for them to have more exercise and start working their muscles the way they naturally would.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care