Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Going outside for the first time!!!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Ok, Bubba and his crew are going to be 3 months old on the 26th and we are almost done with their aviary. I'm so excited! They are getting so big and need room to play and fly. My question is worming......There are so many wormers out there and I don't know what to do first since this is their first time on ground. Do I Ivomec them then safeguard? Do I even do both? Thanks!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like they are growing fast and they will love the room to run and play once they get used to it. When we move our peachicks at first they are usually a little nervous to new surroundings but quickly get settled in.

You will find some differences among peafowl breeders regarding worming.
Panacur (safeguard) is very good, especially for peachicks. We use the safeguard 10% suspension labeled for goats.
The dose we use is .5 mL orally (1/2 mL or cc) per chick for 3 days. In 10 days we repeat the same dosing.

Some worm peachicks every 30 days, some not as often. You will find differences. Does not make it wrong to vary accordingly. But if you have any doubts, issues with parasites, etc., you may want to err on the side of caution.

There are many others who I am sure have their own thoughts and words of wisdom regarding worming. Maybe you will get some other responses.

Have fun with your peachicks. They can be a lot of enjoyment for a family.
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote

They are getting so big so fast!! I am amazed at their growth. They are healthy and will be happier when they have room to roam. I figured they will be dazed at first in their new housing but will get used to it after a while....thanks for confirming my thoughts. Smile As for the safeguard (I do have the goat safeguard), do you put it in water to administer orally? Also, do you have to stir it often? I know it will settle if you don't.
Looks like we will be getting them in their new home this weekend. I'll post some pics next week. Smile
Thank you for your help!

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

You wil have SO MUCH FUN watching those chicks, and they will have a ball.

For "first wormer" I use is Safeguard for goats. I use 3cc per gallon of drinking water for 5 days, but if you can dose them orally like Jeanna recommends, that's even better. You'll know they are getting the needed dose. Wait 10 days, then do it again. Safeguard mixes well with water, but I stir it every now and then anyway.

We worm 3 times per year; early April, late August and early November. We rotate between Safeguard, Ivomec and Valbazen. (This schedule doesn't interfere with egg fertility.)

Something else you might consider doing when it cools off a little is mixing vitamins & electrolytes in their drinking water for a couple of days each month. These are very helpful but the birds don't seem to like them when the weather is real hot.

Please post some pics of your babies outside!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote

Ok, didn't get the avairy done this weekend and it's suppose to rain all week here. Sad I'm so bummed. It's a lot more work then I figured! We are putting chicken wire over the entire area and I'm weaving the seams together by hand..... gaah But once it is done I will know that there are no holes anywhere. Smile Anyway, hope to get it done soon...poor babies are needing to get out! Pics as soon as I get some.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote

I hope you can get that pen finished soon. I am not really looking forward to moving my peachicks to a new pen because my adult peafowl are two miles away at my grandma's so that would mean my peachicks would have to be away from me, and I really love my peachick Peep cause he is so tame. I already have my chicks outside, but they are off the ground and get a light at night.
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote

Ok, they are all outside! So far everyone seems to be getting along fine. I have 1 - 2yr old BS peacock, 1 - 2yr old IB peahen, 4 - 4month old peachicks and 4 - 3month old peachicks all in the same pen. (plus 4 red golden pheasants that are 4 months old) The pen is 35 X 30 with a hut that is 12 x 10. So far the 2 year olds and the pheasants are staying in the hut at night, the 4 - 4 month olds stay on the roof and the 4 - 3 month olds stay under the hut (it's up off the ground about 1 1/2 feet). I also have a 2 1/2 month old peachick in the hut in a cage until he is old enough. Is this ok?? I am concerned about the ones sleeping outside...they seem to sleep on the roof even in rain. Sad Here are a few pics...

The 4 month olds....

The 3 month olds...

My 2 year old Leonard....

And this is my Bubba! He is so sweet....lets me pet him and follows me around when I'm in the pen. Smile

I will get better pics of the aviary this weekend and post them.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote

A word of caution.. I have had great horn owls come down and hit the net just above the bird and take the head off of the peafowl. Suggest you dont let the birds roost close to the open netting...Maybe you dont have owl but any thing that feed on birds is alway out looking for a meal at night time. Sad .. connerhills
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote

Oh my goodness!! Thank you connerhills! The chicken wire covering is actually about 3 feet above the flat part of the roof that they sleep on but I'll see if I can keep them off of it somehow. That will be a challange.... Rolling Eyes LOL

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote

3 feet would be a challange for the predators.. might just run some wire up and close off the area and force them to roost back inside out of the elements also. connerhills
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote

rgdlljames
You might want to give bubba another name it a hen.
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote

A hen??? Crap! Now I've given her a complex! LOL Can't change her name now...she responds to it. I'll call her and she comes running to me. Smile I was told that it was a male when she was younger. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know. Smile BTW-how can you tell?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote

Young males at that age will have alot of barring on them hens want the picture with them on the roof is a male sitting by her.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care