Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Mating Season Part III
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote

Recently I have been picking up about 4 tail feathers a day from my 4 year old IB. He and Sari have been cranking out quite a few eggs in this Part II of mating season (9 total...4 fertile ones in New Mexico hoping to be hatched). Sari should lay another one tonight. She does not seem at all interested in the nesting box that she used to hatch her late March chick. I picked up at least 20 eye feathers this morning so hopefully Louie will be dialing it down a notch or two.

My two year old white male lost his eye feathers months ago and has started growing his new tail. The other day, to my complete amazement he was displaying and then ran up and mated with his 2 year old white hen...literally at my feet.

So last night as I had to separate the birds again...this time because V was once again chasing all the hens, including the surrogate mother for his two white chicks (they are really big chicks now!). I am thinking what the heck is going on and when will this mating season EVER be OVER. I look into the safe side of the coop and CottonBall had just laid an egg! Hence mating season Part III

So now I have two more eggs chilling in the corner of my granite countertop wondering what I am going to do with these now...

At least it is not raining here today!

lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote

It's a loooong hot summer...

Sounds like you are just going to have to crank up the incubator and see what happens! :egg

I've been holding off candling -- if they aren't going to make it, I don't want to know...

-- the accidental peahen paperbag
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Ice is on one egg and Dragon has less than half his train left poor thing. Those darn ants are starting to move into the pen and I saw some around Ice and her nest so I had to sprinkle ant killer around her (she doesn't eat it). At least the ant-lions are making those sand traps for ants around Ice. I saw an ant fall into one today and the ant-lion gobbled up the ant. You gota love those weird looking ant-lions!
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Two IB eggs and another one coming today. Two white eggs. Louie is down to have a tail and V is displaying like crazy.

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote

Ice hatched out all three eggs! One peachick is white, one is dark pied, and the other is pied. Ice is a blackshoulder though so she is either more than I think she is or Damsel my pied laid the eggs and Ice incubated them. The white one could be a blackshoulder but so far I think it is a white.
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote

How exciting -- Congratulations!!! run

Are these Dragon's chicks? That would be especially wonderful for you... wahoo

Best wishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic