Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Siple Blackshoulder peafowl
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
vsa01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a question about Siple Blackshoulder peafowl, I was wondering what they are and how they came about? I presume they are some sort of seperate bloodline. Also they are not listed on the offical list.

I have only ever seen images of peahens, not peacocks so I was wondering if Siple Blackshoulder peacocks are any diffrent from normal Blackshoulder peacocks and if so how do breeders tell them apart for the pourposes of breeding these birds?

I presume that the siple blackshoulder gene is recessive like the ordianry blackshouder gene. So dont breeders need a siple peacock in order to breed these birds?

Regards

Jonathan
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote

As there has been no reply to your question I will give it a try. This is my opinion only. I have raised the pattern in a midnight splits and some may even be midnights. I notice that the black shoulder cocks did not have a complete color change in the wings, or some of a little white still remained at the very back with the wing when closed. Other than this difference I can not tell which one is which. If you keep records of the mating I would suggest you breed the female back to her father if the hen turns out to be of the "Siple" pattern. This will take a few years as you study the cocks as they mature. If it is necessary for both parents to have the gene it may be that splits will produce the pattern also. Maybe others will provide their input . A man named Jack "Siple" in Arizona developed this pattern. George
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote

George I will try to take a picture of one of my cocks this weekend and try to post it for you two.
Dianna

feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote

I have a picture now he is a free range bird,and always up in the barn looking at the girls.

Last edited by feather on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSN Messenger
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote

and one more pic.
and if you will notice his wings are not solid black.
He is about 4 years old

connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Just for information only. the person that is given credit for this pattern is Jack (correct spelling of his last name is) Seipel. Jack Seipel. thanks,, George
vsa01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. It is something I have always wondered about so thanks to you both for explaining and even illustrating the how you tell.

Maybe It could be added to the UPA's pages on colours of peafowl? As it dose seem to be something their is very little information on.

I have actually seen some peahens in the UK that were exhibiting Seipel type characteristics - such as the very dark shaft to the feathers (especially near the legs. Just less pronounced than some of the pictures of US birds I have seen. May be I ought to try and get hold of one.

Thanks Again

Jon
pfowl62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I have a picture of a Seiple pattern purple blackshoulder on my website. My understanding is thatthe only way to tell the birds is as chicks. You can tell the Seiple males, as they have the barring on their breast. It disappears as they get their mature colors in.
________
Toyota Fortuner history

Last edited by pfowl62 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
feather
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote

If this color disapears it is not a Seipel Black Shoulder, it will retain this color in the wing tip on the males and the hens have a lot more black ticking in there body and are darker than a regular Black shoulder hen. I really cannot tell when they are chicks I have to wait till they are at least 2 to see if this pattern dissapears.A regular Black shoulder showing this trait will dissapear once it reaches maturity. If you would like to confirm this ask George Conner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics