Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Flight Pen Under Construction
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next    
Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote

Very nice pens.
dakota

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing,
ideas can cross a world with the right intention.

bye that i mean, i am going to pinch a few ideas off you, Wink Wink Wink . great pens!! Exclamation

dakota

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote

you are lucky minifox, in OZ, "lantanas that grow wildly in the pen"are a problem, and a weed... so if you don't have to worry thats great....
i would also like to thank yo for some of the other plant tips, so far for me, it just been an expensive feed for my Peas..lol

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah I have bought plants that I really liked and thought for sure the peafowl wouldn't tear it up but they did. Some plants they eat, some they just scratch up for some reason. I got a small pampas grass plant for the pen because I love the huge pampas grass we have in our front yard. I figured that because the peafowl didn't mess up the other big grasses I had planted in the pen that they wouldn't mess with the pampas but they eventually walked all over it and scratched all the leaves off. I have no idea if it will come back. They don't mess with my giant iris though. I am always searching for plants they might not eat. If they start to eat a plant I re-plant it outside of the pen.
eldragon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Wow! That is a great pen!
FOWLED_PEAS
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote

I just love the pen and housing you built! We are getting ready to build ours and I need all the ideas I can get. Is there a plant database that shows what plants/trees are safe for peacocks? I wish that this forum had a photo gallery of everyone's pens and housing.

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote

I just test different plants in their pen to see what they won't destroy. I think they are smart about what plants they shouldn't eat. There is a plant that just popped up in their pen a few years ago and the berries on it are poisonous. They don't eat it at all.

I really like the clumping bamboo I have in my peafowl pen. The cast iron plants do really well too. My peahen Damsel tried nesting under some of those this year. Fatsias are great. I might plant a gold dust plant in their pen. I have it in the pot sitting in their pen to give it a while and see if they will eat it or not. Sometimes you will plant something in the pen and they won't touch it for a few days then they may eat it all up a few days later. The general rule I follow is most soft plants don't stand a chance...For example bananas. They can easily peck bananas and destroy them but with bamboo they can't. Also I grow some giant iris in their pen. Those have a lovely purple flower that the peafowl sometimes eat but they don't eat the rest of the plant. I play around with a bunch of plants. I have a few trees growing in their pen too like a Japanese maple, an oak tree, and a wild pear tree plus several palms.
FOWLED_PEAS
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the types of plants and trees you have used successfully. There will be a few plum, oak, and elm trees in the pen. I had planned on adding banana trees, so I am glad you mentioned that. I will see about getting some clumping bamboo. I will be adding some iris plants inside. Very Happy

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote

You could try the bananas just to see...I would try and start with a large banana. There was a breeder who had some bananas in her peachick pen that I think did well but on a breeder website I read them talking about how they tried to have bananas in the peafowl pen but the birds ate them up. They all do seem to have different tastes...
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote

Interesting that you bring up the plant list -- I just saw a plant list a couple days ago, in a flyer posted on line about deterring peafowl and deer, by the Pasadena Humane Society. (Apparently they have more feral peafowl than some neighbors would prefer.) I would be cautious, because I think I have seen some of these plants on lists of plants that are poisonous for animals and/or birds to consume. So you may want to check multiple lists, like search for "poisonous plants" also, to see what turns up. Here's the list they included:

Plants Peafowl Do Not Like

Acacia

Agapanthus

Azalea

Birds of Paradise

Bougainvillea

Cactus

Camellia

Chrysanthemum

Ferns

Oleander

Painted Daisy

Pink Lady

Poinsettia

Roses

Snap Dragons

Fuchsia

Gardenia

Gladioli

Hibiscus

Ivy

Jade

Lavender

Marigold

Here's the link:

http://www.pasadenahumane.org/site/DocServer/Deterring_Peafowl_and_Deer.pdf?docID=301

Hope this helps.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote

Thanks!

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote

From that list I have seen my peafowl eat:
Azalea, Bougainvillea, and roses (the flower part at least).

I wanted to have some sort of climbing plant for their pen so I tried planting the bougainvillea on the side of their pen but they ate up all the leaves.
eldragon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Hibiscus is correct on the list. We have gorgeous white and lavender hibiscus trees and the peacocks aren't interested.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Hmm maybe I should look for some hardy hibiscus then... It is always nice to find flowering plants that they won't eat.
eldragon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote

You can have some cuttings off of ours if you want. We have Luna white and lavender varieties. People stop and ask for cuttings off our Luna white every year, because they say it's hard to find.

We live in MS, about 160 miles from Pensacola. Eventually we want to retire there!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next