Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Flight Pen Under Construction
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next    
nivensid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote

I currently house my 8 week old birds here:

I have a flight pen under construction, 20 x 40" flight area with a covered 10 x 7" area and behind that is a 14 x 10 enclosed area for roosting and to get out of the bad wind and weather. The pics show the uprights and the shelter area, I have a long way to go but the birds are not ready for the ground yet.
The height will be 9 foot at the lowest point with no obstructions in the flight area. Still trying to decide on the plants for the inside and outside areas. Any suggestions from members will be welcome as I am new to these birds.
I will keep pics of the progress as it proceeds.

Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote

what a great looking coop you are going to have! I don't try to grow stuff in my coop as the birds can strip something pretty fast. I have a gingko tree growing inside an its wrapped up with a tomato cage and netting just to give it a chance. I do give my birds some kind of greens every day though...

David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I like your coop in the first picture. Looks like your peafowl are going to have a nice spacious pen.
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Wow, what a great pen. You (and the birds) are really going to love it! As far as plantings inside the pens, we have cedar and bamboo. The birds don't nibble on them at all, and the cedars provide great shade from the afternoon sun. If you put in some bamboo, research it thoroughly. Although it's native habitat for peas, some of the varieties are very invasive so you have to contain them. We have a variety that grows only 6-6.5 feet tall so it fits nicely in the pens. It's a bear to keep them under control though.

We also have a couple of wild trees growing in the pens and the birds haven't messed with them except to roost on the limbs. I top the trees twice per year to keep them from growing thru the wire top.

Thanks for sharing the pics and we'd love to see more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Progress is slow, working 12 hours during the week, I only have 1 day to work on the pen. I figure I have at least a month before my birds are ready for the ground. They are 11 weeks old now.

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote

Wow that's really nice! We have been working very hard too building, but we are using real logs to make it look like it is just an extension of our woods. So far I am very pleased with the outcome. Your right, it is hard work and time consuming, but I think we will both be so happy in the end.

burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote

That's going to be a great pen, thanks for sharing !
Featherhead, thanks for the cedar tree idea inside the pens.
nivensid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Progress is slow but I am ready for the wire and netting and some plants on the outside for looks.

Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote

I used a sand base for my pens. I always have a pile of sand in my yard for peacocks and greyhounds. The poo is pretty easy to pick up from the sand and the sand is a good filter as well. Then I share the poo sand with satsuma trees and camellias among other plants.

I also have cedar decks in my coops so birds can keep their feet dry if its raining a lot.

If you do have the option of keeping your chicks off the ground...great. I am just a hobby peafowl person and I will probably always be limited to 6 adult birds and a few chicks that hatch and then go live somewhere else.

Keagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote

HI,
We have been working very hard too building but we are using real logs to make it look like it is just an extension of our woods. So far I am very, pleased with the outcome.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote

We just completed a "natural run". I love it!

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Keagan, I'd love to see your log pen. JenniferB, can you show some photos too? Thanks!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Hi Featherhead...I did post them. It's been read over 450 times and only 2 people commented. Its under housing a topic called natural runs.

nivensid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Found time to finish the flight pen and nesting area. Here are some pics, one thing not shown is the 10 x 14' totally enclosed area with wood floor for the winter time or when the weather takes a turn for the worse. It is off to the right of the open area overhang. The sand keeps a good base and drains good.

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote

Great pen! I don't know what kind of climate you are in for growing certain things but I like to plant the peafowl pen a lot. I am always adding new plants to the pen and testing to see if the peafowl eat it or leave it alone. If they eat on it you can always plant it outside of the pen. Sometimes I get a new plant and keep it in the pot in the pen so I can watch the peafowl and easily move the plant if they eat on it. Normally they might take a test bite on a new plant and if they like it they will take lots of bites.

Bamboo works well like featherhead said, but make sure you get clumping bamboo, it won't take over like running bamboo will. Cast iron plants are great too, they look nice and tropical and the peafowl like to lie near them but not eat them or even the new leaves, (a lot of plants can work if you get a tall one that the peafowl can't reach all the leaves), Japanese Maple, Trachycarpus fortunei (a type of palm) you could use hardy palms and palmettos in the pen and they are so tough that the peafowl can't eat them or tear them up. Magnolia tree: I don't have one in the pen but I need to find a good one to dig up for the pen, a local breeder has a pretty little magnolia in his pied peafowl pen and it is so nice looking! Fatsias are amazing, they have really cool leaves and the peafowl don't eat them. I think I need to add like 5 more of these to the pen because I just love the look they add to the pen, and then I have lantanas that grow wildly in the pen. In one summer they get huge and then die in the winter but always come back. This year they are popping up all over the pen probably from all the rain and their pinkish orange yellow flowers attract butterflies.

Some ornamental grasses the peafowl don't seem to bother like zebra grass so you can try that stuff too. Wink
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next