Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Trees
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever used actual trees as poles for runs or coops? I have over 20 acres of trees and I would like to go with a more rustic look and use trees instead of lumber. (I also cannot afford the lumber Embarassed ) Do you know if I need to strip the bark and protect the wood in any way (i have read to soak in old oil) or can I just bury them in the ground? I have researched and researched online and I have found so many conflicting answers and what to do's that I figured maybe somebody here had already done it and could tell me what you did. These are just breeder runs and if they only last me 5 years until I can afford better, then that is fine. I have all the fencing and tin I need to make a 3 sided 8' square shelter with 10' runs. Nothing fancy just protection from the weather for the summer months.

Thanks!!

cjfalkenbury

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote

hear is a pen built with cedar poles down at sid's place in texas http://www.texaspeafowl.com/DSC_4383.JPG
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote

There is a wooded piece of property directly behind ours that is for sale. We are hoping to be able to buy it at some point and would move the birds farther back. So I would not hesitate to use a tree, or a couple of trees realizing that it probably means the angles of the coop would not be perfect. I would think the entry would have to be more constructed just for security. With a tree you have to be careful that you don't break the bark in a complete circle around it for it will definitely die.

But someone else might know better than me how successful this would be.

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote

That would be nice. We have figured out a plan and have been working hard on it. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. It looks like it belongs on our property, like it is in the middle of the woods. I will post some pics soon.

Arbor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Trees should do you for the 5 year plan you have. taking the bark off will definately dry out the wood faster, but its durability completely depends on the type of wood. Cedar and larch would stand up better than some of the others, but a good hardwood like maple or oak could last a long time if the bark is removed.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing