Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Help with turkey poults
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
Lylfyly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote

I have 3 poults that have hatched early. This is a picture of the worst one. Is this a hernia? it seems to have reduced some.Is there anything I can do? this is my first turkey hatch.
Please help???

Cherokee Trail Farm
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote

I have had chicks hatch like that before, mine have dryed up and have had no problems just leave them in the hatcher a little longer and it should go away.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote

I would like to add a bit, if I may. Wink
This problem is an unabsorbed yolk sac and can be a serious problem for the chick,
you need to act quickly
to try and help it . It can " rupture" and cause shock due to losing a lot of it's body fluids.
This yolk sac is what the chick must live off of for the first 3 days, it IS it's most important and only nutrition during that time !
The fact they hatched a bit early is prob. why you are having this problem.

There are other possible reasons it can happen but you mentioned early hatch so...that is prob. your culprit.
By any chance are you trying to rush up the incubation at all with higher heat or are you helping the chicks hatch out in fear they may not be able to do so on their own ?
If so, those are not good ideas.

You can try and gently push/massage it in with some triple anitbiotic OINTMENT .
Be sure to use clean /gloved hands to keep the procedure as sterile as possible.
Then cover the area with some plastic wrap ( secured with some tape or a bandage wrapped around the chick ) smeared with the same ointment in hopes that will help the yolk sack internalize completely and letting the navel close up nicely afterward.
If you can do that successfully, it's a good idea to dab the belly button with iodine after the yolk sack is all the way in for a few days to help keep the navel area and sterile.
Lylfyly

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote

I have not tried to help hatch and the temp was 99.5 with a humidity of 55-60. These eggs are a cross between a very young Rio Grande and a Burbon Red. Of these eggs one died a week before hatch. I do appreciate the assistance. Non of my peafowl chicks did this. Burdgirl, they are now over 24 hours old, would the naval still be open enough?
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote

In looking at the photo again, I think that is prob. too much yolk sac hanging out , you may not be successful in trying to get it to internalize.
24 hours may be too long to have waited but about all you can do is try ( gently ) and see what happens. Good chance you may lose those chicks though.

Since you did not rush the incubation process and the humidity seems right, there are other things that might be the cause.
Were the eggs wet/muddy/very dirty when you gathered them and set them?
That can cause bacteria to grow in the yolk sac causing this type of problem.

Also, do you have good air flow/ exchange in the incubator ? insufficient oxygen means less food from the yolk sac is used up so the yolk sac may be larger than normal and cannot be drawn in like it should be.

Don't know what kind of incubator you have but if you a sportsman type with the vents holes in the back , open those as wide as you can get by with and still keep your humidity where it should be. You may have to use sponges or those humidity pads in your water pans or other water holding area to be able to keep your humidity up with the added air flow going one. Also, good idea to open your incubator door several times a day for a minute or two at a time to let good air in , bad air out...especially in the last week of incubation .

I'm no pro. but have incubated a lot of eggs and do have a really good book that goes into detail about these type of problems so that is where I'm getting my info. Hope it helps with your hatches !
Ok Peafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote

The ones that have hatched like for me, If we catch it when they are hatched we do try to push it back in but with both of us working not always going to happen. Over the 8 or 9 years of hatching we have had maybe 20 chicks hatch out (that wasn't caught in time) like this and out of that we have lost 7 chicks, we try to keep pretty good records on each chick with wingband # if there was something wrong when it was hatched. So far this year with some small incubator problems out of 100 chicks hatched only 3 chicken chicks came out with this problem and only lost 1, now with the problem fixed all hatching good.

I hope all yours make it.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote

It is really hard now, so I think I will have to leave it. Had to move it from the rest of the poults as they were pecking at it. Thank you Steve for your comments. I am glad that it isn't a rare problem and that they can survive it. Burdgirl, what is the book? Sounds like one I should have as I have an incubator full of pure heritage eggs.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry