Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Cyst removal process (w/ link to pictures)
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next    
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Okay, as promised here are the steps to removing the large "swollen" hard lump from under the eye of a peafowl. This past weekend, I visited George in Rogersville and we worked together to remove it. I would strongly recommend two people perform this task or else you risk injuring yourself and/or the peafowl. Also the pictures are at the link (bottom of this note)...sorry there aren't more, but I couldn't take pictures and cut at the same time.

After catching the bird, one person should secure the bird on a flat surface (we used a heavy duty cardboard box) by holding its feet straight back and pinning its wings to its side (two hands required). This keeps the bird from flapping around and not jerking as much.

Second person (if right handed) hold the bird's head tightly with your left hand (but don't suffocate it -- see picture) and in your right hand take a sharp, clean bladed instrument, such as utility knife (which we used) or X-acto knife, and slice the lower 1/3 of the lump/swollen skin just below it, but drawing the blade up towards the cyst (not downward into the bird's head). This isn't a clean slice as it would be on human skin, think "raw chicken skin." The skin is tough and rubbery, so you need a firm stroke and will likely have to repeat the stroke several times as you don't want to penetrate the skin deeply, just to the point of the cyst (to avoid damaging nerves or striking some type of artery). Yes, the bird will try to jerk its head, so a tight grip is required...just don't close its air passage.

After making the incision, if you can see a portion of the yellow cyst, cool, but for us, it wasn't easy to see while cutting as we had a bit of blood coming out, but the cut appeared to be through the skin, just to the meat/muscle. After I failed several times, George stepped in because I couldn't get the thing out. George used his thumb to press on the cyst, pushing down and towards the incision, careful not to press on the bird's eye...and, much like a cyst on a human, it popped out through the incision. George appeared to use a pretty good amount of pressure...think "monster zit." Smile George mentioned that if you need additional pressure, you may have to put your fore finger inside of the bird's mouth behind the cyst area and then press and pull the cyst down towards the incision (this apparently keeps you from accidentally injuring the bird if greater pressure is required).

After dabbing off the blood and cleaning the bird a bit, we then gave the bird about .65 (of 1) cc of Baytril just under the skin in its neck (another good time to have two people...especially if you're inexperienced in giving shots as I was). This was an undersized yearling bird, though, so keep that in mind when administering antibiotic.

And that's it. No stitches. No creams. Just air dry. It has been four days and the peahen's eye is looking better each day with no sign of infection. However, George did caution me that sometimes the bird will go blind or lose the eye with cysts like this. Just FYI.

Now, because this starts with an infection, typically, you might be thinking you're pushing out "mush." But this is more like a huge pimple (cyst) that has to be released/cut out...and it's hard, just like it feels like under the skin...this one is about the size of a large marble (I took a few pictures of it next to the syringe).

On the final picture of the bird, you'll see a yellow line. I added this in to show you the incision area (which is right above the yellow line AFTER we removed the cyst). Note how it's about 1/3 the circumference of the cyst area and it was BELOW the cyst area...the incision is really where the swollen portion met the non-swollen part.

Well, if you have additional questions, please ask. George, please feel free to add anything in that I may not have thought to add. Hope this helps!

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/RunDanRun/Peafowl/?action=view&current=Cystremovalpics.jpg

SCROLL to the BOTTOM of this post -- George has added a much more thorough pictorial link of the process as part of his web page. Very nice!

Last edited by RunDanRun on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
pstmj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics!! I just helped a friend, that had a peahen with a grossly swollen eye sinus. Without your pics I would not have tried that on my own. The only thing that was different was she dident have a hard ball like cyst, it was more of a yellowish tapioca pudding looking ooze that came out. It may have been because she only had been swollen for about seven days. Anyway she is now doing awsome!! So I wanted to say thank you!!
Mike Johnson
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote

Glad it helped you, Mike.

Yes, my peahen had the swollen area for several months, so it just hardened into this ball. It's interesting to note that you ran into more of an oozing infection...I would be curious to see how that plays out.

My question would be whether it matters or not that the infection is allowed to harden...(I've no clues), but with the hardened lump, you get all the infection...I'm wondering if with the ooze if there isn't some left behind that could cause problems later? Well, please report back on this after a few weeks...as if it works both ways, I'm thinking the sooner the "lancing" is done, the better for the bird as my peahen was definitely underweight due to this..., but if the swelling reoccurs, then maybe that would mean allow it to harden before removal.

Well, please keep us posted, Mike. Thanks!
pstmj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote

The hen did have a slight reoccurance of swelling for about 4 days. I think it may have been tissue swelling. It has now been over two weeks and she is healed perfectly, without swelling. So I will keep an eye on her, and if something changes I will post it. I also dident give her any antibiotics, only because I wanted to see if it would heal without using them.
Thanks,
Mike Johnson
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote

Great to hear, Mike.

My hen has been fine too. Can't even really tell which eye the lump was removed from (and its been about three weeks now). Seems like the birds are rather resilient when it comes to healing up . . . now the WEIRD thing is, some birds, when they have this drainage, it swells/collects below their eye while others it SEEMS to drain down their throat and into their lungs.

Now that I think of it, has ANYONE ever had a swollen lump on a peaCOCK as opposed to a peaHEN? I'm wondering if there's something about the anatomy of a peahen that's slightly different? I've only had large lumps on peahens, but I've had peacocks get what seemed to be similar infection and it seemed to drain from their air vents in their beaks and probably down their throats...then ultimately it turned into a respiratory infection and they died..., but they never got the large lump. The hens seems to have less drainage, but develop lumps. Hmmm. Could be we need to treat the cocks and hens differently when infection sets in...?

Anyone else have similar experience or a peaCOCK that got a lump like that?
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote

How do you prevent that? I can't amagine having one of my pretty birds get a lump and hate me for catching them to remove it.
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

No idea how to prevent it . . . the first time it happened to me was this winter . . . , which also coincided with the first time I didn't put bleach into their water . . . not sure if there was a relationship in that or not, but I know I won't be cutting the bleach out ever again (just in case).

However, I have a THEORY that this may only occur in peahens . . . I THINK what happens is they get something like a cold or sinus infection or even pink eye . . . in peahens, I'm wondering if the nasal cavity is a little narrower, so when the eyes get weepy (like pink eye) the stuff ends up clogging up some duct and collecting into a large mass (as in the one cut out), while in the peacocks the duct is a little wider/bigger and the stuff drains down their throats and into their lungs causing a respiratory infection which they are likely to die from...basically, I wonder if their lungs just don't fill with the fluid until they can no longer breathe....

Anyway, that's my THEORY as I had two peacocks die this winter, while the peahens survived.

Please feel free to add any other insights to this as I'm just theorizing here!
Smile
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote

I have to say that I am totally astonished at the size of the cyst you removed from your hen! Glad all is well now!

rmoody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote

My son came and helped me and he cut the cyst out of a big Peacock. So the males do get them for sure. I lost a few males with it last year too. We will send a picture of what we cut out.
I want to thank you for the article on how to operate on them to get it out. It was very helpful. I tryed everywhere to find out last year what these birds had but around here nobody knew. It was Great to find your article so I knew what I was dealing with.
I have a couple that are wheezing but I have been treating them with Tylan 200 and the one with the big eye is better and the other 2 are getting better too.
I am unable to post the pic of the cyst now do to computer problems but I will get it posted in the near future. Thanks again.
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote

I would watch the birds closely. Two of my peacocks SEEMED to be recovering, but we had this cold snap and the next thing I knew I had two dead birds within about a week's time. Did the cold play into it? Did they just SEEM to be getting better, but it was due to warmer weather which made it easier for them to breathe? I don't know. I had a hen recover, but she always wheezes when it's cold or after exertion (like after she flies). She rarely moves faster than a patient walk.

I'm glad the info on the cyst helped you with the male. It's also good to know that males do get cysts. But it leaves me with the question why some birds get cysts and why some just drain and often die? Well, something to continue to track and learn about.
rmoody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the cyst we removed from our male peacock thanks to the help of your post. Thanks again for the information.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/rmoody2/
RunDanRun
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Amazing the size of those things, isn't it? Shocked

Glad we (George and I) were able to help.

Dan
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote

Really great info and pictures! I have a 5 week old peachick that has a sinus infection - just started 3 days ago. I've given her/him injections (one a day since it started) of Tylan 50 .25cc's under the skin at the back of the neck. If this doesn't help do you think I should remove the puss/infection that is growing in it's sinus? Is he/she to young to do this? I would really appreciate any input you may have.
I have also heard of injecting the Tylan directly into the sinus. That advisable in such a young bird?
Thank you!!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote

I have another example of the sinus lump removal on my web site at http://boxess.com/connerhills/ If this is treated very soon the infection can be stopped, but it is very fast and takes more treatment to control and after a while it developes into the hardend lump and cutting it out is the only way I know to get rid of it. george
omar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote

i have a problem with 2 peahen
i did the surgery many time and it comes again for those 2 peahen i did it for one black shoulder hen once and it disappear.
i want to know how to make the cyst hard ??
i tried tylen200 one cc drained in the mouth for 5 days some time the problem disappear without surgery and some time it remain the same it dose not get hard.
i tried one thing that work great with black shoulder peacock i gave him 2 cancker capsuls (open the capsul and spread the powder in the mouth) plus 1cc of lincospectin in the chest.
but this medication didnt work for those 2.

please advice me i want to solve this problem befor starting the breeding season.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page 1, 2  Next