Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  My First Pieds!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was great just that we got a pretty boy, but the bonus is that he is friendly and lets you touch him! The hen is extremely flighty, so we are keeping an eye on her. She is currently the lowest ranking bird. Sad

Here I am holding the male pied's train, we have named him Dragon Bird.

Here is just him.

He is one of those amazing ones with only one white eye feather, it is hard to see when his train is not in display, but in display the white eye feather is in the very center.

Here is almost all of Dragon Bird.

The person who sold him said he was three or four, I hope he is, do his spurs and feat look like those of a three or four year old?

I love his face!

The pied hen doesn't have a name yet. I like her looks, but hopes she gets less flighty.

Ice was jumping on her to try and make her stop pacing in the corner. She is doing just what Pip did when she was new, so I think just like Pip, she will settle in and find her place.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Beautiful birds! I am no expert, but I have raised several chicks from birth, and I would say by the length of his tail he is at least 4 more like 5. My three year olds' tail has all eyes for the first time this year and is a little less than half the length. The experts here will correct me if I am wrong. lol

But they are beautiful! Congrats

AndyLuvsNola

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote

He's such a pretty bird... i can't wait to get my pied babies in... They should make some pretty babies too..

Photobucket
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote

Congrats and beautiful birds!

He is not very old, so he could be around that age they claim him to be.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote

If he is around 4, then doesn't that mean his train is not at full length? Because at the place we got him from, when he displayed his train wan't that owfully big like others I have seen. This makes me excited if he is going to get even bigger!

Ice really seems to like him, if he breeds with her (Ice is the blackshoulder) then what would the chicks be? I am guessing blackshoulder split to pied or maybe blackshoulder pied? He is my only breeder unless he can call back my India Blue Fire who left, then we would have to split the pen for a while.
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Generally, all males get the "full colors and long tail" in their third year.. they fill out some more, tail get a bit fuller and longer for a couple more years. Some say a bird is not at his fullest potential before 6 years. It does seem that way to me, while a 3 year old is all beautiful, "somehow" a 5-6 year old male is simply magnificent.

IB x BS= all Blue looking birds split for black shoulder. So if he is not split for BS, all their chicks will have the blue pattern. If Ice is not split for pied or white, all chicks will look Blue, except some will have a little white on the wing tips and/or on the chin. They would be split for pied or white. In this scenario, the chicks would be Blue split for Pied or White and Black shoulder.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the answer! That sounds pretty good. So if I had chicks from my blackshoulder and the pied then if I breed certain chicks to a pied, I could get pieds?

Also Pip, my yearling hen really loves Alto, our yearling male. Unlike the other two females she runs away from Dragon Bird when he displays and always it by Alto's side. I guess they can't sucessfully breed (the two yearlings) but could Pip still mate with Dragon Bird (the three year old) even if she loves Alto? I don't even know if she would want to breed at all this year.

Pictures!

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote

More beautiful pictures! He is a beauty! I need a nicer camera! lol Congrats on your new addition!

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote

We use a digital camera for photos. It works really well and is small, which is nice.

If you are interested in getting what I would say is a good camera then I will tell you the model. It is a Canon Power Shot. It has different settings, but we don't really fool with all the settings, I guess we should. Laughing

Now for a new question...

So I noticed that Dragon Bird is not displaying that much. It has been hot out and the birds are laying around in the shade. Will he display again when the weather gets better? I hope so, I need more pictures! Very Happy

Oh and one more thing, today we mailed my membership form to the UPA! I am so excited to become a member!
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Would you mind telling me the model of your Cannon? I looked up Power Shot and there is so many different ones.

Thanks!

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Sure, it is a Power Shot A540

I am sure they have newer models that might be better and would hold more pictures, but all I know is ours works really well and so I don't think I would want a newer version just yet.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS