Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  EGGNOG
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic     
helen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote

At this moment I am sitting here in the UK, on the evening of Christmas eve; cats asleep in front of the fire, tree twinkling, carols playing and..... drinking my last drop of warm eggnog. My husband and i used to live in Texas where i fell in LOVE with eggnog - surely it is Chritmas in a glass!
Now when ever friends go over to the States i get them to bring me back a carton as you can't get it here Sad
The carton i am drinking is the last of my stock and has been in my freezer (calling to me) for two years. I was a bit worried about it, given its age, but it is still as absolutely delicious as ever...YUM! This one is called organic valley eggnog.
PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPIE FOR EGGNOG Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND VERY BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Hi Helen
The top recipe is the one I use. My sister uses the bottom recipe for larger gatherings. I don't use any of the recipes with raw eggs.
Enjoy!

Ingredients
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon or rum
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites*
Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon (or rum) and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

Ingredients
12 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
2 quarts milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions
Place the eggs and sugar into a pan, and whisk until light colored and frothy. Whisk in 2 cups of milk until thoroughly blended. Place the pan over medium heat, continuing to stir until the mixture thickens, and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to stand 5 minutes.
Stir in the remaining 6 cups of milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to cool thoroughly before serving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote

oh! I can't thank you enough for that xx

That is going to make me very very happy this Christmas Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I posted that almost a year ago - but i log in from time to time to see if anyone could help me on this. I am OUT of egg nog and my husband only said to me the other night, did i want to ask his brother, who lives in the USA now, to being me back some more for Christmas. But i declined - it is a lot to ask.

Hurray!!! now i can make my own Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

By the way, did you see (under General Discussion) that i finally got my misssing peahen. Priscilla, home after six months. I am so so happy to have her home again - it feels like our family is once more complete. Mick, the peacock, was so happy to see her but her sister was less happy - but almost a month on and all three are happy.

Thank you so much - i will let you know how i get on.........
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic