Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Chicken egg in the peahen nest
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2    
yag113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I just started a new post about Patty under the Health heading with new concerns. She seems to be worse.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote

In warm weather a peachick that is almost ready to hatch is making enough heat
to keep it alive for a while.
My favorite candler is the Cool Lite Egg tester from GQF but there are many others
that can be bought from hatcheries or feed stores ...or maybe Jeffers.
Call 1-800-JEFFERS
The "powder" that I sprinkle around a setting peahen just before hatch date
one twenty fifth of a percent of permethrin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote

OK...what I have says 0.25% so we are good to go there.

I will check into the candler. I feel awful thinking she sat and got weak and then sick for nothing..... but you get busy.... as they say... my bad. Hopefully she is on the mend with the increased meds. She is in the kitchen and I am monitoring her closely. Thank you again!
yag113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote

OK...what I have says 0.25% so we are good to go there.

I will check into the candler. I feel awful thinking she sat and got weak and then sick for nothing..... but you get busy.... as they say... my bad. Hopefully she is on the mend with the increased meds. She is in the kitchen and I am monitoring her closely. Thank you again!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote

I am sitting at computer desk in living room with 20 year old Firstborn on
newspaper near me. She spent last night there, too after I pulled a softshelled
egg out of her. Last night after the ordeal of "gynacology" she seemed near
death. Green blow flies were way too interested in her as well as the marching
army of fire ants. But this morning I carried her back out. Tried feeding her
some Joe Pye weed leaves...and nibbled some for myself. Today her left toes
curled under making her stumble.(NOT good) But tonight she is looking around
wondering why she is not out in her own home. She was hand raised after I
helped her out of the first egg that Twisler layed.
Last year she had a bad breeding season and I had to pull soft shelled eggs
out of her. All winter she held her tail in the "egg laying distress" position
so I understood that bad times were coming.
There are not as many cockroaches around her tonight because this
morning I used some "powder" in my house.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Egg candler: I have an inexpensive LED one that I got from incubator warehouse, and it works fine.

But the BEST light I have for candling eggs right now is a new mini-mag LED flashlight, that I incidentally acquired when I had to replace my old (big) maglite, and it was included in the package. This little LED mini-mag has more power and shines through the eggshell better than any of the other lights that I've tried, including the candler. Pea eggs can be pretty dark and hard to see through, but this mini-mag does the trick.

I put the rubber ring around it so it doesn't damage the eggs -- that's important.

The other thing that's important is for it to not burn the eggs. These new LED lights don't generate heat the way old flashlights do, so they are much safer for the eggs.

I got the new mini-mag at Home Depot, and assume something similar could be had at Wal-Mart or Lowes or any similar store, with no shipping or delay.

I had tried my old maglite last year, but it didn't shine through the shell very well, and it got hot pretty quick. So I wasn't even thinking about candling eggs when I bought the new set. (Actually, I was thinking about how to get the borzoi out from being stuck under the house, but that's another story.)

So for a candler, I would buy an LED mini-mag with a rubber ring that cushions the end (it was intended to keep it from rolling, according to the package).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote

My thoughts are with you (DCT) and Firstborn! I feel your pain. I hope you get good luck along with what is obviously the best care she could get. I believe my "luck" has turned...Patty is doing better and 3 of the eggs that I had to take from her have hatched in the incubator!

Borzoi stuck under the porch does sound like an interesting story....

And thanks all regarding the candling lights. I will not venture into this again without feeling certain I can candle!
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I lost my old lady hen this year possibly because an egg broke up inside her. She was a feral hen when we moved here over 6 years ago and she had been living here long before that. My low guestimate was that she was about 9-11 years old but she could have been much older.

She is what started me on the peafowl path and I was so sad to lose her. Glad you have been able to save your old gal for now and hope you have continued success.

yag113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote

My Patty is only 3. I just started on peas 3 years ago. She is doing really well. I have been bringing her in the kitchen in the evenings and letting her in the yard during the day. she still is a little running in the tear ducts but yesterday I got the last of the crud out of her nose! It was a process but since I've been wiping her eyes and nose 2 times a day for about a week she has become complacent about it and I actually think she knows it makes her feel better. She had one little piece of crud stuck in the hole in her beak which she let me unlodge with a toothpick....once I got the tip of it loose I got it with my nails and pulled it out. I know what it's like to have a stuffed up nose so imagine she feels better!

Alas, I discovered one of my chickens yesterday seeming to be a bit snitty so I am about to investigate flock issues and see what I need to do to treat everyone for whatever it might be. I have 7 guineas, about 13 chickens and the 4 peas (plus the 3 new chicks in the kitchen) so it is manageable but a lot to treat individually. I am going to sterile the "bird house" and the outdoor run, treat everyone and hope I can find what the problem is. You read about things like Newcastle Disease and your world starts falling apart. Plus I have the added issues of the wildlife that I rehab and start wondering if that's an issue.

I will post again if I figure out a workable solution!

Thanks!
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2