Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Sari's chicks
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote

My 5 year old India Blue hen Sari, hatched 4 chicks this morning. Last year she had one chick. In 12 days hoping to have a clutch from my 3 year old white hen! Last year she quit the nest 3-4 days before hatch. This time I am ready with the incubator just in case.

FOWLED_PEAS
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Congrats on the new babies! Why are white hens so hard to find? I can find males, but no hens. Grrr!

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Wonderful news about your chicks, Grammie! We are awaiting pics! Susan, have you talked with DMFarms about white hens?

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote

While I congratualate you on having peachicks Cool while all I have are some
eggs being incubated paperbag
but I still want to know why this was posted on "Housing" forum Question
Perhaps it was the joy of having fuzzy little bundles of joy :egg

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote

I think you meant me. Yes, I checked with Doug and he didn't have any white adult hens.

quote="featherhead"]Wonderful news about your chicks, Grammie! We are awaiting pics! Susan, have you talked with DMFarms about white hens?[/quote]

lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote

Well, first, let me add my congratulations on the little peepers!!! :chickendance

And since we have already wandered off the topic of housing, at least in its strictest sense, perhaps I can amuse you with my current housing problem of serious overcrowding...

I may have mentioned I am also incubating some eggs, though bought (isn't ebay wonderful?), since my boys are only a year old, and there are no girls for them...

I also had tucked in some Faverolle (chicken) eggs, because they are supposed to be extra docile, and we need something to help control the fly problem in the summer...

The incubator not being totally, completely full, and at least one of the pea eggs looking not very promising, I succumbed and bought a few more pea eggs, which are on the way.

Then, yesterday, the phone rang... My neighbor was checking his alfalfa, getting ready to cut it, and came across a nest of guinea eggs. So now there are 33 or 34 (it's hard to count them all) guinea eggs wedged in with the Faverolle eggs, surrounding the precious pea eggs in the prime spot... more precious pea eggs coming in the mail, and that non-promising looking pea egg that I thought I was going to have to throw out looks, today, like it may now be developing after all...

I guess you could say I very definitely have a housing problem at the moment! bounce

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

Accidental peahen,
My long departed mother, who began my training in poultry care, told me
"Do NOT count your chickens before they are hatched" :egg
Do you have more than one incubator for your assorted species of fowl Question Idea
Somehow I suspect that you will need information on handling
"malposition in the eggshell"......
"Experience is something that you get right AFTER you needed it" :wow Confused

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Yes, I got way more experience than I bargained for last summer, with the accidental and inadvertent introduction to peafowl, eggs, incubation, hatching and chick rescuing all happening more or less simultaneously. Shocked

Not counting anything before it hatches -- My housing problem is that not everything is fitting easily into the lone incubator! Rolling Eyes

Had a great plan for subdividing it into imminent & non-imminent hatching sections last week.

That was a good plan, right up until the unanticipated addition of the 34 guinea eggs. Laughing

But they would have been scrambled eggs if we hadn't picked 'em up -- the swather was gonna wipe the field slick a couple hours later...

I've got a pretty good set up for brooding in a stock tank (and a lone chicken chick in there right now, who's going to fly up to the hutch house), so once they are hatched, things will be fine. For a bit. Until we need more pens and houses outside in very short order Laughing

Good grief, how do I get myself into these things? Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote

can i get some advice please i have 3 peacocks and 4 hens in a 50 ft by 30 pen and is 12 ft high is that big enough i just started with peafowl so i don't know much as of yet
AIM Address
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote

keeping mostly to housing topic...

50x30x12 seems pretty awesome to me but just off hand, one peacock less or two hens more might make for a happier existence.

My husband and I were just standing outside looking at where we can expand next. It is just Louie and Sari with their 4 three day old chicks in a 10 x 20 pen and Louie isn't very happy Sari is so focused on being a mom. I sat in the coop or right outside of the coop most of yesterday just keeping a watchful eye. I have some safe zones for the chicks. What I don't have is a 3rd space to give Louie a total time out.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will be buying the lot next to ours and will have an additional 100x140 yard. In 8 days I could have 5 more white chicks and another hen started sitting on 3 black shoulder pie/white eggs just this past Monday.

I gotta think about more space if I am going to raise potentially 12 chicks to 3 or 4 months old.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing