Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Question About Clipping Wings & Safety
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
eldragon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote

I have a pair of peafowl that I am hoping to be free-range, but actually inside an 8 foot high fenced area that is about an acre, with lots of trees. Currently they are in a pen but I don't want them to live there permanently.

I am concerned about clipping their wings. I obviously don't want them to fly off, but I also want them to have some security against predators, such as raccoons and possums, that I know are on our property.

I am pretty confident that raccoons cannot get inside the pen they are in, as I actually fostered 4 raccoons last year and kept them in the pen! I worked tirelessly to make sure the coons couldn't get out - and they were young and smallish.........so I am pretty sure older coons cannot get in the pen.

So as a a safety issue, what are everyone's thoughts on clipping the flight wings? I work at a place that has dozens of free range peacocks - a self sustaining flock - with literally no help from the owner. I would like to have my "flock" like the one I see I work.

Any thoughts or advice?
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote

When I first started with peafowl 6 years ago I thought I wanted them to be free range. Now 4 of my peafowl live somewhere else...don't know where but at least two of them were spotted at the Quail Farm about 5 miles from here a few years ago.

My 5 adults have a decent enclosure that I keep very clean. They are fed probably better than a lot of people. If I leave the door open...and I did when Hurricane Gustav hit for instance, the birds don't leave the coop.

My point is, I have come to realize that my birds are not unhappy living in a coop. I see them and interact with them every day. They are perfectly healthy without worms or parasites. And if some catastrophe happened and they were out of the coop they could fly to safety.

I would never clip the wings of my peafowl. What's more, I have refused to sell my birds to anyone who plans to clip their wings.

Not judging...just my opinion if you clip wings and leave them free range they are going to be dinner sooner or later.

Free range didn't work for me and my neighbors but that is my experience...you mileage may vary.

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote

hmmmmm.....this is in the "Housing" part of forum Confused
anyhow I am TOTALLY opposed to wing clipping. If you have ever been smacked in the
face by the ends of clipped wing feathers that will explain part of my reason Shocked
but the more serious part is SAFETY Exclamation The winged predators can enter your eight
foot enclosure. Other predators can dig under or climb over OR your handicapped birds
just might climb/jump out anyhow and be caught by widl dogs, foxes, and bobcats.
Speaking of bobcats-- they are most excellant at crawling through, going under, or
climbing/jumping over fences. Twisted Evil
My peafowl pens have dogwire tops and NO clipped wings for the peafowls inside.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. For now I am going to keep them penned.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing