Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  What Breed?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Hello all,

I got this rooster last year as a chick from my local store. He is supposed to be a pure bred bird. I was told he is a mix of some kind. I do not care really, but I wanted to get him some hens of his "breed". Might anybody know what he is or have a suggestion as to what breed of hen might go nicely with him if he isn't a pure breed? I was thinking he was an Old English of some kind at first. Maybe he would go nicely with phoenix hens? Any thoughts? He is so pretty and so friendly!

I was going to place an order tomorrow, so any help would be great!

Thanks

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer
He's very handsome! To be honest, I've never seen a purebred bird quite like him. I'm certainly no expert, but he might be a mix. What breed did you order to go with him?
sherri

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote

Hi Sherri,

I haven't ordered any hens yet. I just don't know which to get since he isn't pure. I was thinking golden Phoenix would go nicely... Any suggestions?

Bluesman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote

Looks like an Americauna cross. Maybe a full blood but with the black checkered pattern on his tail area I think he may have some Barred Rock in him or ol skool "dominecker" but he definitely is at very least high percentage Americauna... If you get him some Americauna hens he will appreciate you a whole bunch. They are the chickens that lay the colored eggs (from pink to teal green to blue etc...) Easter egg chickens.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Funny you say that, because I bought 4 Americauna pullets for him! I had 4 Americauna hens last year, but lost them to a very determined predator who tore the window right out of our coop! I lost over 40 chickens that day including about 15 large laying hens. Fortunately this pretty boy was in a different coop. I have been told that his coloration is called Crele. Which has the stripes like that, so I really don't know for sure what he is, but he is a pretty boy and I think he will produce nice offspring with the hens I got for him.

Bluesman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote

JenniferB wrote:
Funny you say that, because I bought 4 Americauna pullets for him! I had 4 Americauna hens last year, but lost them to a very determined predator who tore the window right out of our coop! I lost over 40 chickens that day including about 15 large laying hens. Fortunately this pretty boy was in a different coop. I have been told that his coloration is called Crele. Which has the stripes like that, so I really don't know for sure what he is, but he is a pretty boy and I think he will produce nice offspring with the hens I got for him.

He just has that look to me. I guess it is the beard and the colored ears. He may not be full blood, but he definitely has some in him for sure. Most of the Americaunas or Auracanas I've ever had, hens and roosters alike, had those little beards or moustaches. He is very pretty for sure.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry