Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Today's Flock Mixing Pics
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote

I have been meaning to spend a day where I open up the peachick's pen and watch them mix with the adults. I have done this several times but not for a long periods of time. Ice was chasing the white peachicks back into their pen and then cornering them in their narrow pen and jumping on them. I decided that their pen was just too narrow to leave open for Ice to get inside and make chaos so I herded the whites out of the pen and closed the door. That actually worked out pretty well. Ice stayed at the closed entrance of the peachick pen with her peachicks and they all eventually lay down there napping in the sun. I was sitting down with Peep right next to me pecking at my shoes and my headband or pecking at the ground near me. Alto was very interested in Peep and he would walk up to him and Peep would hide behind me and then Alto would walk around me to get to Peep and Peep would keep walking around to the other side of me so I had two peacocks circling me. Alto noticed Peep pecking at my feet so then Alto walked up and started pecking at my feet and then he would scratch at my foot with his foot. It is a good thing I wasn't wearing flip flops! The white peachicks were staying in a tight formation walking around cautiously. I shook my foot and Peep started displaying at my foot and Alto walked up and stared at my foot then pecked at Peep for displaying at my foot. The white peachicks flew up on the covered perches and Damsel and Alto flew up there too. Everyone seemed fine up there and after a while all of them were lying on the perches. I sat down in the sun watching a little bird in the pen and Peep lay down next to me.

After a while I took Peep out of the pen so he could do a little free-ranging. He normally displays the whole time he is out of the pen and he never really wanders. I noticed that the white peachicks were down from the perch so I left Peep outside to go herd the whites into their pen. When I went to go get Peep to put him back into his pen he was right where I left him and he was still displaying.

This picture basically explains Peep. He is always right in your face. His eyes look a little cloudy because he kept blinking when I took a photo.

Peep flew up on one of the perches to escape Alto. In this photo he was just landing after flying off of the perch. You can see his little white flights. He doesn't have any big white feathers.

Here is Alto pecking at my shoes. Great now I will have two peacocks pecking at my feet. Very Happy

Damsel was being a good girl. She is the quiet, almost non existent peafowl of the group. My mom calls her boring but she is special in her own way.

Ice finally relaxed with her chicks.

I love this photo of Ice!

Ice's cute peachick Snow White.

Xena with her mom Ice in the background.

This is one of the white peachicks. I think this is the smallest of the three.

The three whites all settled down with Alto and Damsel on the covered perches.

I got a cool photo of Alto flying down.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

you take some of the best photos, the one of Alto in flight is my fave, awesome !
thanks for the story and the pics ., your birds look great !!
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS