Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  School Project Help
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote

Hello all!

Some of you may know that I am attending college for Graphic Design. This semester I have a very fun project of designing/redesigning a magazine of our choice. I chose to make my own Peafowl magazine. I just love projects like this where we have basically free reign to do anything and everything we want as long as we meet the requirements. We have to do at the minimum 3 different covers, table of contents, credits page and 2 articles...I think that is it. We can add extras if we want to like advertisements of any kind. Anyway I will be doing a monthly recurring department of "Featured Color of the Month" which I have chosen bronze and I am also doing a "medical" article. I am leaning towards slipped tendon issues.

I need some small help. Might anybody here have some good pictures of slipped tendon problems? I need pretty good quality for the image to print clearly and I am having difficulty finding them. If not, good pictures of any medical issue that I could use would work. I really don't even need to write a "real" article on the issue, it could be filler text. It's the layout that my teacher is looking for. Although I will be including the real thing, because unfortunately I NEED to do things properly. I also could use some better quality pictures of bronze peas, I have some, but the quality is so so. Regular bronze, not pied, spaulding, etc.

If anybody may be interested in contributing in some way, maybe by a picture of yours on the magazine cover or inside, maybe an advertisement...anything...I would LOVE to include something of yours in it, instead of something I pull off the internet. When finished, the magazine pages will be mounted and displayed in a lighted glass case in the building for all passers by to see.

Minxfox...you know you want one of your spectacular, unusual angled pictures on the cover! lol

Thanks all! I sure am excited about this project and so far it has been quite fun. I hope maybe you may like to be a part of it.

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer
Re: slipped tendons.... my local TSC calls me for their day-old chicks that have issues such as slipped tendon, not eating, lethargic, etc. Wouldn't you know that I had a slipped tendon last week but that little baby pullet is now fine. Since this usually happens a few times each year, I'll probably get another one. I'll try my best to get some good photos for you.

I'll send you a couple of articles I've written. One is about ways to use pea feathers, which might tie in nicely to your project theme. I'll also send a few photos to use as you wish, and won't be disappointed if you don't use them. I don't have any bronze birds, but last month I got a few photos with unusual color, compliments of the setting sun and the iridescent trains.

This sounds like a really fun project! I'm sure lots of people will contribute.
sherri

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Hi Sherri,

Thanks so much for responding! I was beginning to think nobody would Laughing

Thank you for what you have offered, I could use anything you are willing to share. The project needs to be completed by March 26th, so I need everything by next weekend to be able to have time to put it all together. I have the cover layout complete and ready for photos and those you mentioned sound perfect! My article for color of the month is also complete and ready for photos. Currently I am designing the table of contents as my rough draft is due tomorrow.

This is a fun project! In fact I have so enjoyed all of my projects so far. Last year I designed a company called the Purple Peacock (a bath and body products company) and made a promotional poster for it. I drew everything myself. All the feathers took such a long time! I was 1 out of 6 chosen to be on display for a year out of that class. I will be re-using it in the magazine as an advertisement.

Here it is, the colors don't come out the best in conversion to an image file, but you get the idea:

Thank you again for your kind offers, you can email everything to me through my profile here.

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Oh my gosh this is sooo weird! Okay I can really help you with this one because funny story...I am in High School and I am in Multimedia. We have to do a two year long project for our career class called capstone and the second year is when we make a product. For my topic I chose graphic design and for my product I made a peafowl magazine!!! I turned it in just a few weeks ago. A girl told me she saw all three multimedia teachers looking at my magazine and one of the teachers said that so far I am the only person with an A on my capstone product!!! I was so excited!

For the magazine I took a USB drive with all of my magazine pages on it to Kinko's and got it printed on 11x17 paper. For the cover we used a thicker paper that was glossy on one side (the glossy side was the cover and the back we used for the inside). The inside pages were made of nice smooth paper. They have tons of paper options for you and they even stapled the magazine for us. It was pretty good. My web design teacher told me to look at different magazines to get an idea of how they do their layout and stuff. I used a few of my photos and pulled some off of the internet but I wrote all of the articles. I made a little letter from the editor page and a listing of all the articles and their page numbers. My magazine was only 20 pages long. For my project the teachers were mainly looking for the graphic design element so I did some drawings in photoshop and some work in illustrator. My teacher told me it was good to use a few different programs to make things for the magazine.

Anyways if you have any questions I have sorta been there and done that and would love to help because it is like you said, it is soooo fun making a peafowl magazine! I can definitely let you use some of my photos too just tell me what you are looking for. Very Happy

Here are some pages from my magazine:

This is the back and front of the magazine:

Here is the beginning of an article on green peafowl:
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

That is a funny coincidence! Your project looks great! I have all articles written just putting everything together. I would love to see your project close up...meaning would you be willing to send me the files so I can look at them for ideas? I work all in Adobe CS5 suite. Everything is done in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. You could just save them as an adobe pdf. I just cant really get a good look at them from the post.

What I could really use would be high quality pictures. I know your pictures are just that and you have some great unusual angles too! It isn't the right time of year here for me to go take pics of my own. Right now everything is mud, mud, mud...no pretty green. Pick a handful of your favorites and email the original file to me if you would...that would get the best printout. It is much more exciting for me to use photos of my friends than just one I pull off the internet!

I am fortunate to have all printing supplies at school. Every kind of paper you can think of and several different printer options.

My project is due a week from today, so I have to get the finishing touches done pretty quick. Thank you so much for showing me your magazine and offering pictures. I look forward to receiving them!

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Okay I will e-mail the photos. Wink

Oh hey can I have your e-mail address? I know that there is the e-mail button but that only sends e-mails through the site and that means I will have to have my photos uploaded to photobucket and it won't let me upload PDF's.

On the magazine pages you can use them as an example but you can't copy them exactly but I don't think I have to tell you that anyways.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Oh I certainly won't copy them...no worries there! Mostly I would like to see them because I love looking at what other people have created and designed. It is so interesting to me how everybody has a different style and outlook on design. All my layouts are done anyway...all that it needs is the finishing touch of the perfect pictures and some tweaking of words! I guess you can just call me nosy wanting to enjoy your hard work up close Laughing I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into them and I would never plagiarize your work.

My email is pbj0206@gvtel.com you may send me anything that you feel comfortable with.

Again, thank you for your contributions and for your interest. I will be sure to post the project when it is completed. Very Happy

JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Sherri,

I got your email and tried to respond, but it keeps getting returned to me "undeliverable".

This is what I said...

Oh Sherri, I am so sorry you went though this! Please think nothing more of it. I greatly appreciate all of your efforts and your willingness to help. You gotta love computers!!

Thank you again,

Jennifer

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Hey Jennifer
Well, you're not the first person who has gotten "undeliverable" when responding to my emails. I can't figure it out, as we've had the same aol email address for almost 20 years. I might have the photo file problem licked, though, and will try again tomorrow. Heck, this computer is barely a year old so who knows? Thanks for your patience and I wish you great success with your project! It's exciting to see you and Alea comparing notes!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Well thank you all for your offers, I don't know if any of you sent me anything, but if you did I did not receive it. My project is all done. I have to be in school at 7 AM to print and mount it to presentation boards. It's been fun!

Thank you again for your efforts.

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I tried to send you a PDF but sending just one still was too large of a file. Confused Well I hope you get a good grade. I bet you will!
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote

Hmmm........ Confused
I am very glad that others are able to help you because guess who
does NOT have a good close up photo of a leg with displaced
Achilles tendon? Embarassed paperbag or at least not one of my own....
I vaguely recall being directed to other people's photos at
villagephotos or photobucket.
I do have a photo of my "chick chair" if you want to see it.
(chair that is used for treating stubborn case of displaced
Achilles tendon)
I hope that I can learn how to use the modern camera
(inexexpensive one from Wal-Mart) that I bought to
replace my old 35mm camera whose "door" to battery
compartment broke last year Confused gaah

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Completely Off Topic