Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Incubator thermometer
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
yag113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a decent accurate thermometer for inside my incubator? I have 5 different ones and they all read different temps!
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote

Sigh. I went through that -- very aggravating.

First, if you have any of those inexpensive little glass ones on the paper/plastic backing, they tend to be accurate BUT you sometimes have to calibrate them. So sometimes you have to adjust where they line up on the backing paper, or redo markings.

The other thing that drove me nuts last year was that I had two identical digital ones that gave me really different numbers inside the incubator. I didn't know which one to believe... But then I switched them (put thermometer A's sensor where B's sensor had been), and was absolutely shocked when they replicated the numbers on the opposite thermometer.

Turns out both the thermometers were reading accurately, but I had something like a five degree temperature difference between the "hot" and "cold" spots in the incubator. And that was AFTER I installed a fan to "even out" the temperature. Shocked

So the problem wasn't really the thermometer, it was the #$@ incubator. Rolling Eyes

Good luck!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote

I find that a fan is a must and if you have a sportsman with the tree trays in it you should all so rotate the trays , mark them A to C for your record keeping and the tray that is ready to hatch should be in the cooler part of the incubator for has the eggs develope they generate heat so you could be cooking your birds in the last week of development.
Do some testing with your thermomiters first , perhaps in different areas of your house, and I use the ones that have Max High & lows on them and if there out any degree to each other mark it for your records , then put them in your incubator to find the highs and lows and also where it is cooler and warmer during incubation time and make adjustments as needed , I know this can be pain staking but its better to mess with it for one year thanto lose egg and chicks year after year . I also only set eggs on a Friday Night for where I live it takes the full 28 days to hatch ant that way I am home from work on week ends when they hatch . Just remember different things for different folks . this works for me and my hatch rate is around 75% and I hatch out about 30 chicks ayear and that is all I want, for I raise them for Mobil Lawn Orniments for other acerage owners.
Good Luck
Desert Wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care