Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Roosting at night
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
tatertot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote

I have 4 IB toddlers you could say Laughing . They are approximately 5 months old right now and there is 2 males and 2 females. We also have several chickens and turkeys that we breed. My question is, right now we have the peafowl in an enclosed cage during the week and then let them out to run free with the other birds on the weekends. Its almost breeding time for the turkeys and we are planning to swap out the turkeys and peafowl in order to make sure we get all the turkey eggs. So the peafowl will go in the coop with the chickens and geese. I am a bit concerned because during the week we dont get home from work until its dark during the winter months to put the other birds away in the coop. They have access to get in the coop on their own but most of the turkeys roost on the roof and so forth until we chase them down and put them in the coop and close it up til morning. Once we switch the turkeys and peafowl then the peafowl will be out loose in the chicken yard and able to fly the fence or whatever. I dont think they will leave the yard as they have been raised here and do very well staying around the house during the weekend. But I am concerned that they will fly up in the trees at night during the week before we can get home and try to get them into the coop to safety. We have a Great Pyrenees dog that I think will keep coons away but I want to know if there is any other predators that could get them if they do in fact sleep in the trees at night? We live in the country and coons have been our main predator in the past but there is also owls and chicken hawks around occassionally. Thanks Jeanne
Cory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote

hmmm .. that's a good question !!! I am sure they will find the most dense branched tree to conceal them from owls and even raccoons at night. I will be turning my little Peacock loose with two wilder peahens and I notice they continually eyeball one of the pine trees that is near our security light ... but I am sure they will go to the tip top like the peafowl that my cousin has out in her place.

I have noticed that peafowl are extremely smart when it comes to roosting at night. And can run through a tree like a squirrel. LOL it is difficult to catch them at night - I have tried!

Anyway ... best of luck ... I am worried for owls also but they normally are out further in the woods back here where we live. When they get to calling, I notice my peahens look around to see where the noise is coming for. So they are definitely alert. I think I might get a few guineas for an alarm at night.

best wishes!

Hello kidz !!! I am new to raising peafowl, I have been around agriculture all my life and always desired to raise Peafowl. I am just moving back from the Upper East Side of NYC and am ready to get back to what I love! AGRICULTURE!
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jeanne,

Here in Minnesota I could say that our country is similar to yours as far as predators and such. I have had my peas out through the night for one reason or another many, many times. Sometimes I just don't get home before dark and close up the run after I get home. Usually about 1/3 of my peas actually go back into the coops/runs and perch inside at night on their own. The others will get in the favored oak tree and settle in. In ten years I have never had a pea be taken by a predator while roosting in a tree. I will say this...there is never a 100% guarantee of them being safe outside at night, but generally, I would not be concerned. I will also say that though that has never happened to my peas, once I actually watched an owl swoop down, never miss a beat, and take a full grown turkey out of a tree. So, being a concerned mom, I always worry, just a little. Now, if they do not perch in a tree and stay on the ground or somewhere not so high like a table or out in the open like on a roof out in the middle of nowhere...I don't like that one bit. They are a much easier target, especially on the ground as that leaves them venerable to many different types of predators. Fox, fisher, raccoons, badgers, weasels, coyote, wolves, bear, cougars are just some of the ones I have to worry about. So just be sure that they decide that a tree is where they will go and I wouldn't worry.

stacir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote

I also live in MN and I have had major owl trouble in the past two years. They have taken my peafowl out of the trees and also got one through strong netting while she was roosting on a plank. The owl basically ripped her throat out. They are vicious killers.

It usually happened in the winter. This winter my peafowl have been penned so I haven't had any fatalities.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I do believe that in the winter, as other sources of food are much more scarce. Mine are penned all winter, so I have no experience in that circumstance. I am sorry to hear of your troubles with them.

Where do you live in MN if I may ask?

stacir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote

I live in Thief River Falls. I think you and I have talked on the phone. I may have come to your place once and got some silky chicks from you? I came with my mom and uncle.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing