Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Leaded glass peacock
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Pea-Fun     
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote

My friend Pat Carter recently began working with leaded glass. She made this beautiful peacock for me, and has several other designs on paper already. I'll be buying one of her pieces to donate to the 2012 UPA auction. This is so pretty - photo doesn't do it justice!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote

Nice Sherrie... you better stock up on them ,maybe some that can be stuck in patio doors.??? gac
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote

Wow, totally awesome!!! Very Happy

Been so wanting to do that myself -- but seem to have this bird housing problem, which is kinda taking priority over fun stuff...

But I LOVE working with stained glass, despite still being rather a beginner at it. Life sort of intervened back when I started playing with it.

I think stocking up on those pieces is a really good idea, cuz they will definitely go fast!

As for patio doors -- there's a few problems that would need to be worked out, before getting hopes up too high...

First, structurally, big stained glass panes are pretty weak, because of all the seams. Some of how strong the finished panel will be depends on technique, like choosing lead came channels versus copper foil, but regardless, the weight of the glass, lead came and solder, and the large number of connections, makes it necessary to put in reinforcing bars for big pieces, and makes them maybe not the best choice for a moving application.

Second, a big problem with doors is that people, especially little, enthusiastic kid-type people, tend to run into them, Shocked which is why building codes call for safety (tempered) glass in those locations. Having tried (unsuccessfully!) ONE time (and having ruined a really nice glass cutter in the process) to cut tempered glass, it's a non-starter. Embarassed

On the other hand, big panes/assemblies can be magnificent in places where they don't get a lot of movement, and aren't exposed to the risk of collision. So windows, even bay windows, transoms, clerestory windows, or anything stationary and not in the traffic path.

Send more photos!!! Beautiful! Very Happy

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Pat has already made a couple of transoms for her animal rescue friends. She's starting a scrapbook and I can't wait to see it. I think a transom piece would be breathtaking!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote

I think it would make for a nice privicy window in a persons bathroom.
But on a lighter side of things the bird looks to have health issues ( its got led feet ) Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Pea-Fun