Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Need Help!! Silkie eggs in lockdown and may be drowning!!!!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote

OK, I may have killed my poor silkie chicks! Sad Today is day 19, I locked them down last night. I did a stupid thing...I've had them at 60% humidity with my peafowl eggs for the entire time and just found out they were supposed to be at 35%?????? Did I drown them? Should I drill a small hole in the airsac to drain out any fluid? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote

Could you start by candling them? They might be totally fine! Cool

Stuff may not always be perfect, but in nature, there's a pretty wide variation. Sometimes babies survive when we think the conditions are impossible... Rolling Eyes

Look and see how big your air sacs are before you do anything radical -- you may not have anything to worry about at all.

Good luck! Smile

-- the accidental peahen
lhROW
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote

P.S. I don't think that's "stupid" at all. Smile

Imagine a silkie hen and a peahen each brooding chicks in a wet, humid summer -- lots of rain and high humidity -- as long as the nests were safe, I bet they could each hatch out some chicks! Laughing

-- the accidental peahen fool
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote

Thanks IhRow. Smile I candled them 5 days ago and everything looked good so maybe they are still ok? I'll candle them tonight and check the airsac too. Great idea...forgot about checking the airsac in all my freaking out. Embarassed

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote

Ok, I candled the eggs last night and 5 of the 7 are developing nicely with the airsacs looking good so I think they will be ok. 2 of them looked either infertile or stopped developing early. They were shipped in the mail so I feel pretty good that 5 have made it this far. Smile I'll let you know in the next couple of day what happens. Thanks for the advice. Smile BTW - hope your new babies are doing well. Smile

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear heavens WHERE did you get that picture???

It is HILARIOUS!!! :haha

-- the accidental peahen

And how are the silkies coming along?
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 am Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS! So far 4 of the 5 eggs have pipped and the 5th one is peeping in the egg! Way Cool since I thought I may have drown them. Confused Anyway, I'll get pics on here as soon as they hatch. Smile
BTW - the pic is from the net somewhere...I ran across it and laughed out loud when I saw it. Decided to share it here. Love the look. Laughing

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote

Ok, here they are! All are happy and healthy even the little guy that had trouble. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry