Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Pale green ooz when hatching???
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry     
rgdlljames
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote

One of my Silkie Chicken eggs hatched late last night but while it was hatching there was a pale green discharge/ooz coming out of the shell. I thought I read somewhere that was a disease?? Sure hope not. Anyway, I left the chick to dry, went to bed and woke up 1 1/2 hrs later to check on it. What I thought was water covering the chick was something else that dried really hard like elmers glue and the chick was glued on its back to the paper towel in the hatcher. Poor baby! It was peeping like crazy and thrashing around. I promptly got some warm water, dunked the chick in it to clean to "glue" off but it wasn't coming out without a fight. I then added a tiny bit of dawn dish soap and that seemed to help. Got the baby cleaned up as best I could, set it back in the hatcher and went to back to bed. He was still peeping loudly when I left him so I took that as a good sign. When I woke of this morning he was still pretty stiff. His face was very crusty (I hadn't washed his face) so I took him to the sink, washed him all over again with soap including his face, gave it some sugar/electrolite water then back into the hatcher it went. It was still peeping loudly and moving quite a bit so I hope it will be ok.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with him? Anyone experience this? If it's a disease will it contaminate my other chicks? Won't let him or any other chick near my peachicks.
Please help!! Sad

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote

UPDATE****
The baby is doing great! He has just as much energy as the others and is very active. He's alot smaller then the other chicks but appears to be doing great. If he had a bacteria or some other infection wouldn't he be acting sick? I've read that what happened to him "could" be from not enough humidity. I think this is unlikely because I've had them at 60% the entire time. Confused I'll post pictures of him later.....he is adorable!
Anyway, hope someone can help me figure out what happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Other poultry