Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  egg impaction
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Forum Information     
jonniebradley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote

Over a month ago my 8 year old pet pea hen couldn't pass an egg. I gave calcium/phosphorus/Vit.D, and instead of passing it, it dissolved. I put her on amoxicillin (250mg. once a day) and she rallied and began eating on her own (force fed for a couple days first). She continued to have watery, icky stool, and then began forming another egg, which again, she couldn't pass. I repeated the process, she rallied, and formed another egg......... we are on the third egg. She cannot seem to pass them.

I know the reasons this developed to begin with (not enough sunlight, vit. D deficiency, etc.) and can correct all those problems. She does not seek oyster shell on her own, which seems natural since I'm dousing her with the calcium mix. And, with this current egg, I'm not planning to give her more antibiotics as I don't think they are doing her system any good, possibly compounding the problem.

Any ideas what I can do to get these eggs passed? She should stop forming them as we are entering winter here (North Idaho) and I can, hopefully, recover her health during the winter before she heads back into egg production next spring. She is one sick bird in between eggs.
bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Take a little mineral oil , and place in the vent. Keep her warm. If she doesn't pass the egg , you may even have to break it and remove it in pieces. Feed her a layer feed during laying season. Sorry to say some hens that keep getting egg bound, can not be used as breeders.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. I've tried the mineral oil thing. It doesn't seem to work. I've been afraid to break and remove the egg because I have read that is risky, due to sharp edges of the shell causing internal damage to the bird. Have you done this personally? And, do you have any hints on the best way to do this? Breaking those eggs is not an easy thing, and I'm concerned about injury.

I've even wondered if I could extract the egg whole without injuring her. Ideas?

I don't care if she's a breeder as she is a single pet with no mate. If there was a way to keep her from forming any eggs, that would be ideal, but alas, I don't think there are birth control pills for birds!
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi jonniebradley
This topic might be better listed under the "Health" section. This could be why it took a while to get a response.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Thank you! I'm new to this stuff, so yes, I see the Health section would have been more appropriate. Meanwhile, I read a similar inquiry and now have a few more ideas. I've also located a vet who may be able to provide the high concentration of calcium recommended by one party. Prior to this, I've only been able to get about 3000 mg calcium from a bone meal mix down the bird, three times a day. And, I've been force feeding her, so her strength is still fairly good.
Thank you again.
bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Have been lucky on peahens ,none have been egg bound. Yes I have removed egg piece by piece from a breeder cockatoo hen. Just take your time, yes its a risk, but if not passed the bird will die.

Had she been laying soft shell eggs ???? wonder why you are giving the calcium. I would not give the calcium , unless she has softshell eggs.

Trouble she may alway have trouble passing eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I'm headed in the right direction now. Your help has been great! I have finally found a local vet who will help with removal of the egg if the following hasn't worked by Monday:
keep her warm and in semi-dark
give her a daily flush of dilute KY jelly (about 1/4 cup)
give her high humidity (spare bathroom & hot shower periodically is working, along with the heater and a towel soaked nearby to help keep humidity up (this is a challenge here in N.Idaho)
give her some Karo Syrup to help boost her energy
Exercise is good if she will move much
Feed her some, but not heavily, forced gently is okay
Give her electrolytes in her water and make sure she stays hydrated (eye dropper)
I think that's it.

I'll let you all know what happens after Monday!
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Jonnie.. I might also suggest that you increase the vitamin D3.. even if she gets lots of calcium and cannot convert it to use in her system it will not help.. It takes D3 to be able to allow the system to use it .. George
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Forum Information