Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  We have an egg!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Zenith49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote

We brought these two hens home on 5/8. The male 'got friendly' with them after about a week (and several times thereafter) and today we have an egg. We don't know which hen laid it as they are both ignoring it.

How likely is it fertile? Will the owner sit on it eventually? Can we expect additional eggs?

Right now it's just sitting in the dirt. We have several 'dog kennels', so we could put them inside the enclosure - either whole or just the bottom. Do we need straw? How do we make it more comfy for them?

I assume that handling the egg is not a good idea and should be kept to a minimum.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote

A penned peahen often will find a quiet corner of pen and dig a very shallow hole. She will
NOT bring any nesting materials. But some peahens leave their eggs any old place Confused
or, worse yet, drop eggs from perches sometimes breaking them Shocked
I used to have a peacock named Neverland, hatched from an egg that never landed
because my hand was behind a batty green spalding peahen who was sitting on a perch
about four feet above a cement floor. I put that egg under a chicken just as soon as it
was dry so that I could mark it.
Eggs that are left to be carelessly kicked around the pen are not likely to be incubated by
peahen(s). A peahen that has mothering instinct will place her eggs in one spot and
begin incubation right after laying her last one. Before you ask how many-----
A peahen can set on just one or two eggs or have a real clutch. It is possible to add a few
eggs to a small clutch if your peahen is not wild. I had a green spalding peahen that
raised a pair of black shoulder spaldings from eggs that I placed in front of her. By
instinct she pulled those eggs under herself. Her own eggs did not hatch that year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote

D C T wrote:
A penned peahen often will find a quiet corner of pen and dig a very shallow hole. She will
NOT bring any nesting materials. But some peahens leave their eggs any old place Confused
or, worse yet, drop eggs from perches sometimes breaking them Shocked
I used to have a peacock named Neverland, hatched from an egg that never landed
because my hand was behind a batty green spalding peahen who was sitting on a perch
about four feet above a cement floor. I put that egg under a chicken just as soon as it
was dry so that I could mark it.
Eggs that are left to be carelessly kicked around the pen are not likely to be incubated by
peahen(s). A peahen that has mothering instinct will place her eggs in one spot and
begin incubation right after laying her last one. Before you ask how many-----
A peahen can set on just one or two eggs or have a real clutch. It is possible to add a few
eggs to a small clutch if your peahen is not wild. I had a green spalding peahen that
raised a pair of black shoulder spaldings from eggs that I placed in front of her. By
instinct she pulled those eggs under herself. Her own eggs did not hatch that year.

Thanks for the info. How lucky you were right there to catch the egg. Unfortunately for us, the egg was broken overnight. I think maybe one of our local raccoons figured out a way into the pen as part of the egg shell was outside the pen. Today we'll be securing the pen better.

Zenith49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote

We're not sure which hen laid them. Would both hens lay eggs in the same dugout depression? We were sure that Patty was the mother, but right now Marge is sitting on the eggs. It's been two days since the last egg was laid, but we think maybe another is due.

The only time either of them sits on the eggs is when she lays another, so I'm not sure what's happening here. They are both completely uninterested in the male (who is acting weirdly anyway). If he attempts to mount one of the hens and she runs, he just continues to display, but will not get near either of the hens, regardless of what they do.

Confused and concerned.

Zenith49

We were right - we now have 5 eggs and Marge definitely laid this one. Hmmmmmm

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics