Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  My New Birds
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote

I found an elderly lady who at 70 years old decided caring for her birds was becoming too much for her. We quick cleaned out a nice 25 x 15 building that has been sitting collecting dust and added a temporary small run for them. We were going to use it anyway this year, but we just moved it up the schedule a bit. We will make improvements through the summer so it will be perfect for all my birds during the winter. It will be insulated and heated with a 75' enclosed flight area by the end of the summer.

Monday I took a three hour road trip one way with my four kids to check them out. I was interested mainly in hens, but she had some beautiful males that I just couldn't resist. So I ended up with two males and three females. They haven't ventured outside too much yet, but I was able to get a few pics of the males yesterday. They have been free range all their lives and are not real calm around people. They will get used to me though and learn that I am the momma now! lol I will most likely keep them there for about two months. Let them see that my birds are free range and stick around plus make sure they are healthy before introducing them to my birds. Plus my alpha male will chase them off this time of year! He is known to do that.

Anyway, these pics aren't the greatest but here are my new blue pied male and blue black shoulder (dark?) pied male. Their tails are still a little curled and they are kinda ruffled from the trip. I will try to get the hens later.

Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Nice birds. Smile The BS could be dark(homozygous) pied or split white.. he's one of those you can't be totally sure of until 'test bred' with a white. If you want more BS, use a white hen from blackshoulder breeding.
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi Kevin!

Would breeding him with a silver pied do it? Or only white?

I don't know much about these things except what I read. If he has a white spot on the throat doesn't that mean dark pied? Not just split white. He definitely has more white wing feathers then just flight. Some go half way up the wing. He also has white spots on his feathers at the top of his legs. Nothing on his back or tail that I could see, but he doesn't let me get close enough yet. They are very skiddish around people so far, but I will break them of that. lol

Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Split whites can have the white throat patch too.. and how much white they have is variable too.. the 'average' split white has several white flights.. but have had known(due to parentage or breeding results)hens with more than half of the wings white with white throat patch, and some with barely any white.. just a couple small ones around the alula.

I totally understand being tempting to think this is a dark pied.. did not want to confuse you, but there is even a small chance he is a 'true pied' with very minimal amount of white and sometimes the black shoulder gene does weird things with some genes like split white, pied, white eyed.. but all of that will have to be put aside as speculation until proven by breeding.

Breeding with white will give the clearest results because if he's a split white, with a white hen the chicks would come out half white half like him. No ambiguity there..

Breeding with a pied will still work, but will have to hatch out a lot of chicks to be sure.. like if he's split white and bred with a pied, there's only a 1 in 4 chance of a white chick.. you may get lucky and get a white chick out of the first egg but it's also likely by pure chance you will not get a white chick until the 10th egg hatches.. so with less than 10 chicks and no white, you still have to consider there is a chance he is split white.. but after 20 chicks and no white, there is a very reasonable chance he is not a split white.. if he is a dark pied, you will get a lot like him along 'true/loud pieds'.. if you hatch only a few chicks, you still won't be able to tell if the non-pied chicks are white splits or dark(homozygous) pieds. But after 20 chicks just like him and loud pieds and no other phenotype, he's likely a dark pied.. It's mostly a matter of numbers if not using a white tester.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS