Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Question about feather development
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
vsa01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote

Hello!

I ought to start by saying that over here in the UK we dont see many diffrent types of peafowl.. we only have blues, blackshoulders, whites and pieds so knowlage on the genetics and colour stuff is pretty thin! hence my question here.

I would like to know why one of my 15 month old blackshoulder peacocks isnt developing his tail properly, it would appear to have retained the majority of the white intemingled with irridecance, and hasnt developed a single ocelli, while all my other birds have at least 4 or 5 and green tails.

I have included a picture of one of my other (I would say normal) blackshoulders on the left. Both birds were hatched last year during the summer.

I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before? Is this bird just a slow developer.. while it was younger it hardly had any tail feathers at all. I did expected it to catch up with the others this summer, however it hasnt.

May be this bird will lose its diffrent colour all together over the next year? Whatever happens it will be intresting watching him develop. I just thought it would be intresting to get some opinions, I can provide more pictures if that would help.

Regards

Jonathan

kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

Welcome Jonathan! I would say that the male on the right is younger than the male on the left. He was probably just hatched later in the season than the other. OR he just comes from different blood lines that develop differently. Not all 2 year old boys have a train. By next year you probably wont be able to see any difference.

Please keep in touch with us. It will be interesting to hear about peafowl in the UK!

P.S...... and can I add that I LOVE that we can post photos on this forum!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Thankyou Kat!

I definatly will keep you updated although there really isnt very much going on with peafowl in the UK! I have been keeping and breeding peafowl in the north of england for a 6 years , I have India Blue and Blackshoulders.. For a long time I have been trying to get hold of some greens and some whites. These are that rare in the UK that getting adult birds is imposable.. I am hopeing that an agreement with a breeder for some of this years birds hasnt fallen through.. Time will tell.

Some of the mutations that you have over in the US are really intresting, shame we have none of them over here. I would love to add some opals to my collection, they are so diffrent. however the nearest ones would appear to be in portugal! Import laws are prohibitavly complex, especially with the Avian Influenza outbreak recently.

Thanks for the advice on the bird, I must admit that this is the first one I have seen that looks like this, the bird did have some developmental problems when it was younger though so maybe it has somthing to do with that.

Regards

Jonathan
bcraft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Jonathan, are the import laws better for hatching eggs. I am sure the hatch rate would be low. But maybe you could get a few new colors that way. Burt
vsa01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote

Hi Burt,

To tell you the truth I am not entirly sure how the rules would differ in regards to hatching eggs, Defra's website isnt entirely clear

For live birds it would appear that a veterinarian would have to produce a certificate validating the health of the birds on the day of travel of whitch the original would accompany the birds on their journey, the shipment would also have to meet some other criteria.

The implication is that the same would have to be compleated for hatching eggs, I would have to ring Defra to conferm this.

I am very intrested in getting some of the newer colours and the process sounds simple enough but I am sure this is lulling me into a fase confidence. Cost is also another issue. Also should any of the import rules be missed the birds would almost certainly be destroyed on arrival in the UK.

I wonder if any of your members has had some experiance of exporting birds from the US, It would be intresting to hear some experiances and maybe they could advise on the right way to do things.

Regards,

Jonathan
jnelson
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Hello Jonathan,
The process of exporting birds from the U.S. is a rather simple process. However, I think the process for importing birds into the U.K. is rather difficult. You would need to contact your government agency to request the import requirements for poultry into the U.K. They will determine what is necesary and required from you as well as the exporter. It will then be the exporters responsibility to provide the documentation and permits from this end. If you are interested in importing some peafowl from the U.S. please feel free to contact us. We would be glad to work with you to get you some birds!

Josh Nelson
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics