Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Split to white & dark pied?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     

Is Split to White the same as Dark Pied?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Not Sure
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote

Ok so we want pied birds, and we know were to get a white bird and a bird with white primaries, BUT I just got confused!

I went to Brad Legg's website, and evidentally India Blue Split to White is totally different than Dark Pied, but it sounds like they look alike! Both have been described as having white primaries and dark pied sometimes has a white throat latch.

Now the problem is this bird with white flights the owner has free-range, so we have no idea if he is split or dark pied! Guys I am so confused and we can't just get pieds, the only person around here we know of with some isn't selling them yet, they only have three totall, and only one is a female and they will not sell any chicks!

Please tell me what types we need to get pieds...And how to tell the difference between a Split to white and a dark pied!

UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote

Yes it is confusing. Simply put, this is a case of two birds with very different genotype(their genetic makeup) happening to look very similarly.

It is true, in cases if a person got a white flighted bird(with or without the white patch on throat) without knowing its history or in a situation such as free range.. he/she cannot tell by looking if the bird is split white or dark pied. The easiest way to find out is by breeding this bird to a White and see what kind of chicks they produce. Example:

Test bird bred with White, chicks are half White= half "blue with white flights" proves the bird in question was a split white.

Test bird with White= all chicks come out pied, with the patches of white all over, proves the bird in question was a dark pied.

The easiest way to get pieds is to get from someone who knows the parentage of their birds(they often can know if a bird is split white or a dark pied from the parentage) or to get a bird that is obviously pied(white patches all over)- either a pair of pieds or a pied and white pair.
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote

My future plan was two have one IB hen with my white pair...they are only 9 months old at present. Also in the future to have a white hen in with my now 3 year old IB pair. Will I get pieds from these combinations?

DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote

MinxFox there is no way to tell the different by looking at them. Like Kevin said you will have to breed them to see. A bird split to pied only will show no white. The birds that are split to pied that show white is also split to white.

Susan putting a white hen will not produce any pieds unless you male is carry a pied gene all the chicks will be blues with white flights. The only way to get pieds is to have one parent carring a pied gene and the other a pied or white gene.
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. My old feral hen has white flights so I should let her breed with my white male next year?

MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, wow I guess even if I have free range birds I need to keep them penned for breeding and make sure I know who is breeding with who!

Well split white or dark pied, that lady is not selling any adults, so I can't have the bird.

One more question...We could have gotten a blackshoulder adult male. We have that adult female blackshoulder. The guy said he would sell us one of his males for $150, is this resonable? If we decide to get one of the two blackshoulders, should we see if one is taller and get that one, or look for friendliness?

We might go to Alabama just to get pieds, my mom is really getting peafowl fever! She wants new birds NOW! Laughing So I really want to go to Alabama because the place we would go to I haven't been their yet, and I LOVE going to see other peoples peafowl! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote

MinxFox
That a little on the high side you should be able to find one for 100.00 or 125.00 but if you are picking it up it would be cheaper than getting one shipped shipping on a mature male would cost around 80.00
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, yeah my parents were thinking it sounded a little high, and the $150 is not shipping, because the place is close.

How much would an adult pied male cost?

UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote

Agree with Doug.

One thing about buying pieds.. you want to at least see a picture of the birds for sale. Not just the parents of said birds, the bird's siblings(not for sale) or something like "here is what pieds look like"...... If the seller can't send pictures, go somewhere else. Cameras are cheap, plus a lot of cell phones have cameras in them too. Seeing in person is best of course..

Pieds vary a lot. People have their own tastes. Some like a lot of white, some like more color and less white. Also one person's "this bird has a lot of white" is another's "Eh, not that much white..." If you want a male that will have white in tail, you will have to specifically look for this as there are pieds with a lot of white everywhere, except the tail... Don't let anybody tell you this or that bird will get a lot more white or show white in tail later, if it does not already show a clear white patch somewhere on the mid and lower back(close to tail).

Pied often cost about 50-100 more than a non-pied in the same color.
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin! What you said really helps out a ton! Mainly for now, I want to go to local breeders to see the birds in person.

As for me, what I like in pieds is one that looks really unique. I like neat facial markings and also ones were half the tail is white and the other half color. Mainly I like less white, but it really depends, I might like one that has more white if the bit of color has a neat pattern. Also I saw a beautiful pied that I thought was awesome because he had a full color tail, except for one white eye feather in the center!

I know that the desired pied look is a male with white mainly on the back and tail, but I really like almost any look, even if a pied has no white in his tail, I kind of like the looks of a full color tail but the rest of the body being pied.

I guess now would be a good time to get an adult pied male so he will have a bit of time to ajust for breeding and also so we can see what his full train will look like. Very Happy

UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote

Personally I love all pieds. To me the ones that are almost all colored, save for a small patch of white in the tail area look like they have a shooting star when their tails are fanned out- white tail feathers radiate out of the white patch.. sort of a white "star"(on his back) with white "streamers" rising up from it. I also love the ones that are nearly all white, save for a patch of colored feathers also in tail area.. seems almost abstract art or something. Smile

I know what you mean about a bird having their markings in a particular way that's so appealing to someone.. on some birds the patches are really crisp and cleanly divided from the colored body, on others the borders are more ziz-zaggy not so strongly defined.. All the more reason for you to go see pieds in person to make your pick(or at least ask for pics haha!). Have fun shopping for works of art. Smile
MinxFox
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote

Yes they are like abstract, and I love how each looks so easy to tell apart from another because of the really unique markings.

The zig-zaggy patern on the neck is what I like. I mean the crisp solid look of white can be pretty to, but the zig-zaggy patern sticks out more to me.

Love the way you described the pied with streamers!

Hopefully we will get to see several pied males so we can have a good choice, otherwise I hope the males or male they have for sale is pretty. Very Happy Of course most pieds are...