Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  What color is this?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Randee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote

This is a surprise chick out of a spalding pen. What's the name of this color? Have a couple guesses, but want to see what you think.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote

It looks like a black shoulder pattern spalding female.. connerhills
Randee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote

Do you think it could be a red buff something or other? Do the black ears mean anything?

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote

In all of the colors there are patterns and black sholder is a pattern and not a color. There are balck sholder patterns in blue, bronze opal ect ect. Some years ago the cameo black sholder pattern was called an Oaten and the black shoulder spalding was call a red buff. These were just a color name that was given to a pattern adn was out of line with the other B S colored birds . At that time I felt the colors and patterns should be listed in some kind of order maybe in the way they evolved and were developed. Brad Legg was ask to contribute his experience and knowledge to do this. At that time the correct wording for B S cameo and B S spalding was used. The UPA adapted this and the result is the complete list of colors and patterns of peafowl.. There has been two new colors put under consideration at the 2009 UPA convention in Colo. hosted by Donn & Georgia Maynard.. These are the Taupe and Sonja's Violeta This will bring the total number of different kinds of peafowl to about 225. Of corse anyone call call any bird any thing that they want to just like some people in Austrialia call a loud pied a reverse pied. From the rules of the UPA your bird is a black shoulder pattern spalding ( yes this bird used to be refered to as a red buff spalding whick was a color name for a pattern) Any more questions I will try to answer ,,,, George connerhillsfarm
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote

The hatching of this bird indicated that you have a male and a female that is split to Black shoulder pattern.. I think the spaldings in black shoulder are very pretty birds. george
Randee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote

I was under the impression that black shoulder was the absense of a pattern(barring on india blue) so i am a little confused. your saying the black shoulder is a pattern itself. when i look at my black shoulder male compared to my india blue male i do not see any new colors in the BS just lack of the wild pattern. For me it makes a very colorful bird but I do not see a pattern there. One more question George is their a way to identify other than blood a midnight female? My split to midnight male is with with 2 bs hens and i get true midnight boys and I am getting bs and bs splits also. In the boys I can distinquish that but not in the girls and I have not been able to take photos that other people can distinquish what females I have for hens. The breedng bs hens are 3 to 4 years old and originally bought as midnights. Thank you

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote

The India blue is a barred wing (wild pattern) the black sholder evolved in the 1800 some time and came from the India blue as a pattern change from barred wing to solid wing color and was the first to be had in a solid wing color ( and was a black winged color pattern ie; black sholder pattern. As more colors were mutated out it was found that you can have any color is solid wing color and is referred to as a Black shoulder pattern. Such as the opal and bronze ect. it is possible to use the india blue in a solid color patter ( referred to as a blck sholder pattern as the first one was black sholdered ) and make birds with the solid color wing pattern ( black shoulder ). Look at it like all of the black bars were closed up and covered the white bars and resulting in a solid black or solid bronze or opal or what ever color wing you want the pattern in. You will find very few people that will give you a double you money back gaurantee that the midnights are for sure midnights and not just BS hens. The only way is to have breed them for a while and get to the point that all of the males are midnight and assume that all of the females are also. There are a few , a very few that do indeed have for sure hens in midnight. I would think that your hens are midnight I would guess your cock is as you said split and when ever your dealing with a pattern ( B S ) and a color (midnight) it is possible to not have the color or pattern in the offspring The punnetts square is the best way to see the possibilities of the offspring in peafowl. and can go as high as 256 squares and maybe more it can take a day or two just to fill in the larger ones,but you can find what your wanting on BS in maybe 16 squares.. now I am not good at that thing but some people can pick it up right away, In the new color that I have it is a sex link and these have been worked on for 5-6 years and only have a few males and a number of females.. George
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics