Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Does temperature effect sex?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Even though I kept my incubator (the foam cooler kind with fan) set pretty consistently to 99.5 based on digital thermometer, I now believe that it was actually running a little hot as some of my eggs hatched sooner than 28 days.

Now I think I have maybe two hens out of 7 chicks and was wondering if a higher temperature would more likely produce male birds.

I live near the Insta-Gator Ranch and have heard their lecture and the sex of the hatchling alligators is definitely determined by the temp of the eggs. Since gators and peacocks are sort of related down the dinosaur line I thought the same might be true for both.

Or maybe its just my bad luck I was hoping for more hen and got more cocks.

Also, it appears that of the three largest chicks, two of them are likely female. Has anyone noticed a correlation between size of chick and sex of chick?

eberhardt22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote

I don't know about peacocks, but i know that with sea turtles you have a correlation between sex and temp. It might just be a reptile / amphibian thing, but it might also apply to peacocks. I dont know though, haven't had any successful eggs... Yet!
Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Birds have sex chromosomes & have "male" and "female" eggs (in birds it is the hens that passes down the boy or girl genes) so temperature does not affect them as their sex is already determined as soon as they are fertilized/laid.. even before incubation too. The egg is already laid being either ""XX" or "XY". (to be more pedantic, ZZ and ZW are used for bird sex chromosomes. but the idea is exactly the same)

Alligators. and some reptiles don't exactly have this male/female chromosomes so essentially at *fertilization* all are same- XX.. no XY.. Temperature causes some biological things that eventually determines the sex of each embryo as it grows up.

Very often some years it will seem there is way more of one sex than the other.. but if the total is counted after several years, it will come close to 50/50. Just like some families with many children happen to end up with like 5 boys, one girl(or vice versa) even though it is supposed to be about 50/50% chance for a boy or girl. If the same family had 100 children, it would show 50% boys and 50% girls.
Peachick Grammie
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Kevin,

Thank you for the great information about male/female ratio in peachicks. I am the oldest of 7...5 girls & 2 boys...glad my parents stopped there!

Kevin
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote

No problem. It sure would have been nice to be able to adjust the sex of chicks though!

I'm the younger of two.. older is a girl and me a boy. Perfect 50/50% ratio, yay! Cool
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics