Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  free roam peahen nesting...
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
eberhardt22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a pair of free roam peafowl, one cock and one hen, and as of lately the hen has been almost nonexistent. Up until about a week and a half ago she was inseparable from her partner, but now she is very rarely seen. When I do see her she is alone near a wooded area. I was wondering if it was common for a peahen to want to nest away from the peacock… I have read that the time to hatch peafowl eggs is 28-30 days, and I also read that they can be startled away from the nest very easily. I don’t want to investigate because if she is nesting I would rather her at least try to hatch some chicks. I really don’t know if I should go look and find out where she is spending her time, or if I should wait for her to return on her own in her own due time. Anything you could tell me would be great.
soggybottom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote

Hi. How tame is your peahen? I always investigate if someone is missing, but my birds are quite tame and won't be spooked by me. She probabaly is nesting. I guess I would at least see where she goes and make sure that she is well hidden from predators. That's always my concern is that the hens can be killed by predators while nesting since they don't roost at night. Lots of luck! Very Happy
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote

Your hen might leave the nest each day for a very short time. She'll get a drink and a little something to eat. Mine have always done this during the heat of the day when everyone else is taking a siesta. Keep an eye out for her in mid-afternoon. As soggybottom says, you can follow her back to her nest (maybe with binoculars?) if she's comfortable with your presence. It would be good to know where her nest is so you can check on her. In my experience, hens will not leave their eggs when confronted by a predator or a threat.

Yes, my hens have always preferred to nest away from the males.

Sounds like you'll be starting a new flock soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote

well today i tried to see if i could find her with no luck. The area i think she is in is very thick with brush, weeds and trees. Peahens dont tend to nest in the same area do they? because i dont want her wondering off every year for a month. We get the occasional raccoon in our area, but we have been doing a pretty good job of getting rid of them this year so hopefully nothing will mess with her.
eberhardt22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote

well its been over a month now and she still hasnt retuirned... i think that her eggs were not fertile so i think i am going to go find and destroy her nest so she will come back
Sad i was hoping for peachicks
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care