Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Using a broody hen to hatch peafowl
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote

My friend Iona tells me all the time that a broody hen will out hatch any incubator. So, when I obtained 4 peafowl eggs, I snuck them up under a broody hen of mine. Who, I might say, has taken them greedily and been giving me the most disgruntled evil eye and growl anytime I come near the horse stall she is in.

We are almost 2 weeks into the incubation and I can hardly contain myself. So, the question comes down to do I let the hen keep the peachicks and raise them. Or should I take them from her and raise them with a spare chicken chick. I've heard that with chicken chicks, the chicks are usually happier and healthier if given the opportunity to be raised by mom, but what about peachicks?

-Kim
countrygirl4513

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote

I used a broody hen and she is doing great! The chicks are a month old now and none of them has a clue that they aren't from the same clan. The mom of course is trying to teach chicken while the chicks are feeling the instincts of peafowl kicking in. But I have let her do the raising since she would do a much better job than I. She has taught them to roost already and they are thriving in the flock. The only problem is that mom is a late sleeper and the peachicks get up and out early. They coo for her to come down but she won't budge. They've learned to do for themselves till she comes along. This is my first experience with peafowl but so far so good. Some say you shouldn't house chickens and peafowl together due to disease but I'll have to take my chances. Good luck on yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Reason for not running peafowl with chickens. Chicken can be carriers of Blackhead with no harm to the chicken, but kill turkey and peafowl.

I dont keep them together, i do keep gamehens to set eggs for a week, before putting them in the incubator.

I raise my replacement hens, to keep a closed flock. Less risk of bring diseases into the flock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care