Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  white chick form IB hen/BS male
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics     
rtaylors3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't post twice. I tried this already but it didn't work...So i have no way of knowing the genetics of these birds but was curious how this happened. They both appear to be what they are with no white flight feathers. If the BS gene is recessive would the hen have to carry the BS gene to produce a white chick? How can you tell if a white chick will be white or BS? -Rachel
connerhills
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Rachel... Black Shoulder chicks are white when they are hatched raguarsless of the color.. Your chicks will have a light brown flight feathers when hatched or soon after. If this is the case that would mean that the hen is split or carries the BS gene. but some of the chicks can be blue pattern. If the color change does not happen then there are other things that happen.. Watch for a few days and see what developes and let us know.. George
bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote

Peach Blackshoulders peachick, note color of flight feather, if white those feather would be white. All blackshoulder chicks have color flights, Bs pied, Bs split white, still should have a few color flight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote

Thanks! That's what I have then.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics