Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Breeding Pied peafowl
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2    
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote

The 'man' of the chick group

I don't have a good shot of the purple pied, they were all blurry, but I'm suspecting a female. If all of my uneducated guesses are correct, I'm gonna be needing some hens!

bcraft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote

Sonoita wrote:
purple male?

Purple hens, 2nd & 3rd pics marked as purple male?

The man of the of chick group, is also a hen.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote

See it pays to ask stupid questions! As a student I'm probably in the D- gpa!.
Shocked So tell me why the IB with the color on the base of it's neck is a hen? Confused
The reason I thought it was a male is; pattern still prominant, flight feathers are dark brown, color at drsal the base of the neck.

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes the man of the group is a WOman. India blue hens do have some color too, it is just less color, and greener than the intense blue of the male.
Way to go Burt! Wink

Jeanna

Notice the green on this india blue hen in the photo. She is just a yearling but she is the BOSS of the barnyard!
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Thanks - what do you see that you call her a hen? I'm not questioning if you are right or wrong, I am asking to be educated. Sincerely!!

bcraft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Both of these purple peachicks are the same age. One on the left is a male, note the barring of the feathers. The female on the right is losing hers.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote

Thank you, it helps to have something to compare the purple ladies to. Good, I was beginning to worry about being too heavy in the male department.

tpope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the pictures. I sure would love to see some follow up pictures. Maybe before and afters?
jadobber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote

I just wanted to add ---- When sexing birds it can be really hard to sex them until they are a little older if they have any spalding blood in them..As in the case of purples for example, the hens to will have barring in them. I have had quite a few hens of the years---Lets say 25 to 35% spalding blood that have alot of barring in them..Stinks trying to figure it out. I had alot that I had no idea carried any spalding blood in them until they produced offspring. I used to have a purple black shoulder spalding male that showed no green blood but boy did his offspring..I have birds produced this year that the hens had no green blood,,,to a spalding male split---And I can not believe how much they look like REALLY nice green blooded birds....So I am sure that made it even harder for people but what do you do...Julie
bcraft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote

Yes high % Spaulding and green hens have barring.

Still best way to sex India Blue 3 months old is the barring, excect the white and heavy white silver pieds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote

I also am new to the Peafowl experience and I believe I have a grip on the "Pied" conversation, but would like some clarification of terms in order to fully understand.

Am I correct in associating the following terms with their proper "phenotypes?"

Pied = Bird appearing mostly as a blue wild with limited white patches on the body and neck feathers.

Loud Pied = Bird appearing mostly white on the body, neck and wings with random patches of the wild blue pattern showing up.

Dark Pied = Bird appearing mostly as a wild blue with some white flight feathers and very few white patches on the body feathers.

True Pied = Bird often confused with blue split white in that it appears mostly blue with few white flight feathers only.

Blue split White = Bird appearing as blue wild with very limited white flight feathers.

If correct, I have several follow up questions. If not, could someone please associate the terms to the left with their proper phenotype and if not too much trouble, their genotype as well? Then I will most likely have the follow ups but not as many.
Yahoo Messenger
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Try this site, I have found it helpful when trying to figure out my bird's genetics.
Note, there are 2 advertisements that come up immediately when opening the sight. Close them ASAP! Otherwise it will be hard to see the page.

http://www.birdfarm.bravepages.com/moregenex.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Breeding and Genetics Goto page Previous  1, 2