Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peafowl Newbie[PICS ADDED- some may be considered graphic]
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2    
PeaJ

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote

They may not be pure java muticus muticus, but it looks to me like they are green. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of the greens can help.

Rhonda
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote

They are definately a "green" of some sort, or at least a cross. Their green stays green, it isn't just green in a particular light. The hen I'm sure isn't a pure, I think they pulled her from the Java pied pen to make a complete pair, she doesn't have the Java crest. While she was caught, I noticed a couple small spots of white.

I guess their true colors won't really show until they are back up to health. I can't wait to see them at full vitality!

Here are a couple more pics showing off his color a "little" better.
He'll be so pretty once his feathers are replaced and preened and he's back up to health. Smile

Thanks again everyone for your help, I appreciate it and I'm sure the peas do!
-Kim

Last edited by Wolf-Kim on Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Kim
These birds are spalding. Whoever you bought these from didn't know are they said they were javas to get more money. If all posible you should contact the breeder you got them from and get your money back. A honest breeder would not sell birds in this shape.
Doug
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote

How much do adult Spaldings go for?

I am tempted to get my money back, but at the same time, I really hate to cause a scene.

Can I get your honest opinion, on whether these birds will be worth the fight to bring them back up to health? I'd hate to spend the time, energy, and money, only to have them die on me. Then I would be out the money I spent buying them and the money spent bringing them to health.

So the cock is NOT a Java green for sure? I want to get my facts straight before I take further action.

-Kim

Last edited by Wolf-Kim on Wed May 13, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMFarms
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Kim
I would say a breeder pair in good health 150.00 to 200.00. The hen you have looks to be around 50% java and the male is a little bit higher maybe 3/4. It hard to say if they will make it or not when a bird get down that bad it hard to pull them through. I don't blame you for not wanting to give them back they would have let them die. A true breeder raises birds for the love of the birds and not just for the money.
Doug
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Okay. I appreciate the help. I will attempt to bring them back to health. If they go down on me, then I will take action with the previous owner. I have their number and address, as well as pictures and this thread as proof to the condition I recieved them in.

I will try to save them first, if all else fails then I will look at getting my money back.

-Kim

Last edited by Wolf-Kim on Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeaJ

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote

I don't blame you. I would get get all my ducks in a row and plan ahead just in case. I do hope you pull them through tho, they are beautiful birds and will be even more so when you get them well.
PeaJ

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote

BTW, what area of NC are you in? I'm in SW VA.

Rhonda
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote

I am located in Fayetteville, NC.

Picked the birds up from Raeford, NC.
PeaJ

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Do they seem to be doing any better than when you first got them?
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote

I only just brought them home Tuesday.

I'll keep everyone updated on their progress. Smile
JenniferB
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Its been several days now...hows it going?

burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote

# 1. I personally would not
feed them puppy chow and cat food, those feeds are formulated for just that, dogs and cats and not birds. As a treat every now and then would be fine and hey, you do need to get the weight on them asap.
Find a good feed formulated for poultry, game birds.
The health of these birds seemingly was compromised from the time you got them.
They indeed look in poor shape from in the photos

all advice you've gotten here per worming is great and the Valbazen and other wormers are good wormers that should be available at your southern states and/or your TSC.
I would like to also suggest:

ADD vitamins and electrolytes to their diets that has a high amount of B vitamins in it.

Granulex ( spray form exellent for birds ) is wonderful for wounds, necrotic tissue , etc.
Albeit a bit pricey, well worth the cost .

Good source is Jeffers.com but there are many other sources for sure and most vets keep it on hand also.

BTW : one bird looks like its got bad eyesight?!

Last edited by burdgurl on Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolf-Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote

Well, an update.

The peahen begin acted very strangely and I knew she was going to check out. She would be laying down and unresponsive, so I reached out and touched her. She got up and staggered to the other corner of the horse stall and "fell" back into the laying position. I knew she wasn't going to make the night, I called the breeder back and not 10 minutes later the hen was stone dead. :/

So I bagged her and placed her into the freezer, for the ants were already at her and I wanted her body as "evidence". The breeder agreed to a full refund and I exchanged the cock and the dead hen in the morning. It is sad, but I was in over my head and I gave it the best shot I could.

I couldn't afford to bury $300 in the backyard. The breeder was very willing to refund so I have no more quarrels with them.

I ended up visiting a friend of mine a couple weeks later in Jacksonville, NC. She has always been so kind to me and was the one who started me on peafowl in the first place. I was able to obtain 4 peafowl eggs from her, so they are on week 2 under a broody chicken hen of mine. As much as I keep wanting to candle those eggs and hover over the nest, the hen gives me the evil eyes and gives me the most disgruntled look. So, I keep making myself leave her be and just remind myself, if they hatch then I know in a couple more weeks and if the don't then I wasn't meant to have peafowl just yet. Wink

-Kim
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote

glad you got your money back and sorry to hear about your loss and all the problems.
It could have been blackhead or a number of other things, encephalitis still sticks out in my mind. Know you got the birds in bad shape but just for a heads up, be sure and keep your place mosquito free as possible.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health Goto page Previous  1, 2