Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Peafowl and ?????
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
tonygrz

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to peafowl and was fortunate to find this forum. I recently aquired three adult peafowl, 1 male and 2 females. I have them in a small pen right now until I build a larger enclosure. The person that sold me the peafowl said I needed a minimum of a 20X20X8 enclosure. Does that sound correct ????? If not, what size would you recommend.

Also, we also have chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese. Which if any can I put in with the peafowl ???

My wife and I are retired in live out in the country. The closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away so we won't have any "noise" problems. I don't want an ornate enclosure, just a nice simple box.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Please answer my questions since I want to start on an enclosure as soon as possible. The poor peafowl are presently in a 12X12X6 pen.

Thanks,

Tony Garza
tonygrz
Ok Peafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
We have 12 Breeder pens they all have a 10x10 shed open to the south and 4 have a 10x45 run, 8 have 10x24 runs, just remember the more birds you put in a pen the bigger it will have to be. some folks only have 8' wide x 25' long so with a 10' long shed you will have a 35' run which is a good size for three peafowl.
tonygrz

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I can make a 10X10 with a 24' run. I think that will fit my budget. Do you add any other fowl to your pens or are they just for peafowl?

thanks,

tonygrz
Ok Peafowl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes folks will run Yellow Golden, Red Golden or Lady Amherst Pheasants with them but we don't we have found when breeding season is in full swing that they will fight with one another. Steve (P.S. Be sure to put at least a 5 or 6 ft high roost, 2x4 laid flat)
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing