Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Clipping toenails on an elderly male
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health     
CrystalSwan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote

My husband and I have had India Blue peacocks for over 23 years. Our first male is still living at the ripe old age of 26. We don't allow our birds to roam free because of coyotes, neighbor's roving dogs and a kitten eating redtail hawk. Shocked
Here's the problem, Romeo (the ancient one) has 3 toenails which have gotten really long and are curling under from not being as active as he used to be. I'm afraid about how to go about clipping them without hitting the quick (?) and causing him to bleed. We have a bottle of powder which is used on dogs in case clipping the nails causes bleeding. Does that stuff work?
They all go bonkers if a stranger comes into their pen so I'm thinking having the country vet try might be more damaging than if we try it. They don't mind us so much. No bouncing off the walls anyways. He's so frail now, I'd hate to give him a heart attack.
Any suggestions?
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote

Hi CrystalSwan
Nail trimming is routine on many domestic birds. My old male also needs to have his beak trimmed back every fall. You might consider getting a dremel tool for these jobs if you're not comfortable using cutters. I bought a cordless one because it's not as noisy as the electric versions. Yes, styptic powder can be used on bird nails. The grinding tool lets you take off a tiny amount of nail at a time and you should be able to see the quick when you get near it. It will be a tiny black dot in the center of the nail.

Here's a good article about trimming bird nails. It will be much easier for you and Romeo if you wrap him in a large towel before you begin. Good luck, and let us know how it goes, okay?

http://birds.about.com/od/grooming/a/nailtrimming.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Hi Featherhead!
Thanks so much for answering my question. The dremel sounds a lot safer than the snippers. Which tip are you using?

I snip our little dogs' nails and if she yips I jump higher than she does but we just get right back at it and so far we've both survived with no blood or limbs lost. I guess the Peacock has me spooked because his are so big. But it needs to be done and I think I'm the best one for the job! Careful & loving, yup, that's me.
I also make mountains out of molehills as a side job. Laughing
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Hey CrystalSwan
I use the cone-shaped attachment. I was far too nervous to trim Big Bird's beak for the first time. It's something I'd never done and it scared me senseless. Big Chicken (me) had my vet come over and show me how. Geez, it took like 15 seconds. Big Bird didn't even CARE. How embarrassed was I? Let's not go there. And my vet just smiled. Many people use side cutters or dog nail cutters and are comfortable with them, so you'll find a method that works for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote

I've been there done that with the vet as well.
Thanks for all of your help! Very Happy
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Health