Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Necropsy Photo
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS     
Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Hello,

This photo is of a necropsy that was performed by a Purdue Avian Vet on a yearling peahen we bought. We were allowed to stay and watch while he did it. He described everything in detail as he went from the head to the internal organs.

Can anyone recognize this? One hint, it is a dreaded disease, one you hope you never see. And if we did not have the necropsy done we would have never guessed it.

burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote

I sure have no idea and sure am not going to click on the full size image, the small one will do just fine , thanks. Wink
What is that that is so very green in there, is that what the problem was?

I LOVE the photos for avatars you use, btw. The bird photo you're using now, the bird looks as if it has hair vs feathers on the front , beautiful !
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote

I suspect the green is the gallbladder, I am wondering if the red organ is the issue. I do not know bird anatomy, just human, and not many things look that red post mortum.

Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks Burdgurl, we take a lot of pictures of the birds. The one you are refering to now is a Charcoal White Eye yearling male. He is beautiful, and he knows it. He is also spoiled rotten.

And Sonoita, yes the green organ is the gall bladder and the red organ is the liver. Which was the ultimate cause of death, after the liver became infected with this disease. But she was already in dire straits before it even got to the liver.

And to give you another hint, notice the lesions on the cecum? That is where the disease started to show internally. There are lesions in other places too.
But there is more than one reason why this happened, and the beginning of this is started with parasites.
When we bought her, and I picked her up for the first time my first thought was she is a light as a feather, and I mean light weight. At death she was under 3 pounds Rolling Eyes
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know what variety of peafowl he is ! I'm not keen on peafowl genetics for sure.
However, all of your bird photos you have shown here have been awesome !

So, was it Flukes?? If so, would Ivomec PLUS have helped in this situation?
Have been told by my vet NOT to use the Plus kind, for what reason now I cannot remember, been years ago she told me that.
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote

I meant to add, seems like the only diff. I recall between the reg. Ivomec and the plus kind was that the plus treated flukes and I think that "had" to been what my vet. must have been referring to.
Washy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote

If this was some form of liver fluke, am I right in suggesting that the water your bird drank could have been infected? I am sure some flukes can be passed by cattle and other mammals drinking and defecating near a river. I think in some countries himans can be infected by liver flukes.

It is something that had crossed my mind when I came to live in this remote part of France as our water supply is from a well and we are surrounded bywild boars, deer and cattle, which I know wander in and out of the river which feeds our water mill and as such is quite close to our well. When I free range my peas in about 18 months then I suppsoe they will drink directly from this river, so liver fluke is a possibility.

I have just wormed my birds, chickens and peas with Capizol, a french Levamisole product, it lists load of internal parasites so its time to get the dictionary out.......

Perhaps I should drink a does of it as well!!

I would be interested to know what wormers are recommended for liver fluke in other countries.

Josephine

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

It is not liver flukes, it is a disease caused from a protozoan parasite. A hint is chickens can be carriers and never exhibit signs or symptoms. Also note the "cheesy" appearance of the cecum. And also another hint is they have now taken the best drug off the market for treatment of this disease...
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

If I get it right this time, can I have that spoiled Charcoal White Eye bird ? Very Happy

Black Head
Jeanna
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote

Hello Burdgurl,

YES, it is Blackhead.

I about keeled over when he said that, I was already a little weepy from seeing the little peanut (and yes we name everyone around here) being cut up in front of me, and then he said "it is blackhead" I had to turn away. Crying or Very sad

Sorry, Smokey Lonesome is one of my favorite boys. He really is spoiled, and he knows I love watching him. We take him treats out about 3 or 4 times a day. If I bring the same thing twice in a row he whips around real fast, gives me a disgusted look, then runs away. What a bird!

Jeanna
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » PHOTOS