Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Venus and Milo have a new bedroom!
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote

Steve finally got fed up with the peas in the lounge!! Well actually I did too they were getting too big for their travel cot and it was very stinky every morning! (They were only in it at night out in a pen during the day)

He has built them a lovely temporary pen in the barn with 3 roosts and a shelf with fleece on it and a heat lamp as they still like to sleep snuggled up! I have covered the floor with horse bedding made from hemp core which I mixed with a bag of peat as apparently its a good deodariser? The peas love to roll in it anyway!

They were all wide eyed when I put them in last night but seem quite happy now although I'm missing their gentle peeping in the corner of the longe when we are watching tv in the evenings!!

They also had a trip to the vets on Monday which they thought was very exciting! They were very well behaved and got weighed and wormed!

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Hello Babypeas,

Sounds like Venus and Milo have nice cozy home fixed up for them, I bet they were awfully curious when you put them in. I know when we move our babies and youngsters sometimes they are scared but very curious.

Glad the trip to the vet was a good one, I have taken peas to the vet before and usually they behaved pretty good. Used a vari-kennel to transport them. Most people are also very interested in seeing peafowl.
Since you had them wormed, and after your follow up worming in 10 days you should be okay with your worming at least for 2-3 months depending on your schedule. Some people worm their peas more than others. I have talked with people who worm every month to people who worm only once or twice a year.

Be sure to keep us posted and we would love to see some more pictures. Laughing

Jeanna
burdgurl
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote

Oh babypeas,

your birds are sooo spoiled ! Better watch that hemp core, they may catch a buzz, lol !
( just kidding, I really have never heard of that but do know what hemp is. )

Really though, the new home sounds wonderful for them .

Jeanna, what is a vari-kennel ?

I moved my 6 week olds ( a couple weeks ago ) out to their new barn and they seem a bit uneasy in the evening ( dusk ) at roost time , "talking" a lot and hudding up in a corner under a window in the barn. ( even though they have a roost which they just started to actually use the other day )
I think since they went from having a heat lamp on in the brooder room all night to no light at night now they will require an extended adjustment period.
Anyone else ever have your chicks " scared of the dark" ?
babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote

Hi Burdgirl,

My peas are really scared of the dark!!! I remember when they were tiny I was carrying them upstairs and I turned off the downstairs light and they absolutely freaked out and jumped out of my arms! I suppose they are just never in the dark are they?

Mine are now 11 weeks old but they still have a heat lamp as I worry about them in the barn Rolling Eyes sometimes I dont put it on when I first bring them in the evenings as its quite warm until about 8 or 9 but when you close the door its pitch dark and they get really upset!

By the way the peacock gazebo has finally arrived! You have never seen such a huge jigsaw!!! Its in 4 massive crates and the instructions are in chinese!!! Wish us luck

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Hey babypeas,

How cold is it there at night now ? You really prob. should let them be getting used to the cold, it toughens them up , so to speak.
I just had to let my chicks get used to being in the dark, they are adjusting better as time goes by. ( no power out to the barn, as of yet )

Great news you have gotten the Peacock Palace ! Smile Oh goodness, Chinese instructions.
Hope you guys are getting it all figured out and put together allright . BEST OF LUCK!
Let us know how it's going, lucky you !!
Sonoita
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Send a picture!

babypeas
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Oh do you think I am pampering them to much?

It only gets down to about 7 or 8 at night at the moment should I not let them have the heat lamp? How cold should I let it get I just worry in case the temp drops, we have had a couple of frosts...the barn is completely enclosed with no windows but not at all insulated...

I'd hate to make them to soft! They are 13 weeks old now...

By the way the ground cover is working really well I havent even taken any out and it doesnt smell at all I just rake it through a bit every day.

No news on peacock palace yet I'm afraid - its still in its crates! Although my other half was telling me his plans to line the base completely with chicken wire under the bark to keep those pesky foxes out so maybe he will start to build it soon.

When he does I'll put some pics on of the giant jigsaw!!!

xxx

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote

Hi babypeas,

I do hope you're speaking of degrees in Celsius !
Wink
I'm thinking if their that old than as cold as they are getting now is allright but much colder then the supplemental heat would be needed. It's said to start them at 95 F. the first week then drop the temp. 5 degrees every week after . At 13 weeks that would be right at 35 degrees F. so they should be fine without the heat, my guess anyway.

So excited for you and the new palace, can't wait till you guys get it done and get the pics. posted ! Yes, anything to keep those foxes and other critters away from your precious Peas ! Smile
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing