Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Penhen has changed colors and grown eye feathers
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
Peeperspeople

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi there, we have a 15 year old pet peahen that is now showing male characteristics. Over the last 8 months she has developed long colorful eye feathers and has gone from green to blue neck feathers. Her beak has also been growing so fast that we have to clip it often. She stopped laying eggs five years ago after a traumatic encounter with a bobcat that killed her duck buddy of 10 years. Luckily she survived. Does anyone have any thoughts on this transition?Thank you in advance for any help. B.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote

Years ago on a different forum a lady told about her peahen that died two and a half years after growing male plumage. This was before some of my own peahens had the same problem. Two old India Blue peahens that were sisters grew male plumage and died at different times. I did a necropsy on each of them and found an ugly foul smelling blockage in the oviduct which explained to me exactly why both had stopped laying eggs.
A few years later another peahen stopped laying eggs and grew male plumage. She was murdered by a possum that ate her female organs so that there was nothing there for me to examine.
Perhaps you can take your peahen to a vet to find out if there is a blockage and if it can be removed Idea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Sad Well, that's not very good news. I raised her from a chick that someone gave us. She had been dog handled and her leg was hurt, but she healed up. She has always been well taken care of. She seems to be eating and moving around just fine, for now. I will try to find a local vet that takes exotic birds. Maybe they can use a scope of some kind to see what's going on in there. Thank you very much for your help.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote

You are welcome. I exist to serve my Creator by helping His most helpless creatures.
The bad smelling mess in the oviduct seemed to be broken eggshell and rotten scrambled eggs and perhaps some fecal material. I do not believe that having that splendid male plumage ever gave those peahens any pleasure.
Please post and tell everybody if you are able to get help for your peahen

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion