Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Mice eating my peafowl food
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
cootz

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Just as the title states. Does anyone have any ideas? I've lifted the feeder a little higher to make it more difficult for the critters to get in there. Once the peafowl roost for the night, out come the mice for their fill. Making the pen mice-proof would be nearly impossible. Poison them outside the pen? Use the old water in pail trick?

Any ideas will be appreciated. Their probably doubling my feed cost Shocked

Thanks in advance.
Desert Wind
UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote

put some feed in a 5 gal pail lean it against the inside wall of the peacock house, the mice will jump in to eat the feed and can not jump high enough to get out of the pail. it is the pest trap we have on the farm for mice other than our cat Jasper

Desert Wind

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote

For a few bucks, there are a couple of different traps you can get. One is a metal box (slightly larger than a paperback book) with a one-way door. Place it in a corner. Because the mice seek darkness and hang around the walls and corners of your barn, they will enter the box. You can check it every few days to release the mice.

My favorite is called the "Mice Cube" It's about the size of a stick of butter and has a one-way trap door. Bait it with a dab of peanut butter on a tiny bit of cracker. It's almost clear plastic, so you can see if you've caught anything (unlike the metal box). I check them every morning when I feed. To empty, just take the cube far away from the barn, flip the trap door and release. You can get these jewels for $2 at Walmart. They're usually on the top shelf in the rodent control section. A couple of resident red-tail hawks sometimes wait for me to empty the cube.

We don't have many mice because we have black snakes. Wanna snake? (Just kiddin')

Note: When the Ag Dept came out to test my birds for NPIP status, they asked to see my rodent control. This is required to pass NPIP inspection. They also thought the Mice Cubes were really neat.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote

I use home made bait boxes. 12 in sq x 2in hight these are placed under my hanging feeders. Have also used 5 gal. bucket and 10 gal fish tanks,along back wall with a board up to the top,mice like to run the back wall. they fall in the bucket and cant get back out

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll give the bucket a try and see if I can locate those one way traps next time I hit the Walmart.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion