Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  peafowl nests
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion     
finnman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote

hi all my peafowl free range but i would like them to breed i have one male and two female. they have a large aviary and indoor section where thy roost at night. i have put a large box inside for a nest box filled with straw .will this do or do i let them make there own. and what materials do i put in for them. will both females use the same nest to lay and what happens when one goes broody.
bcraft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote

I have nest boxes, some use them other just nest on the ground. Yes some time peahens will share a nest and even set together. Best to mark all eggs under a broody peahen,as another may lay in her nest. She will leave the nest when the first chicks hatch.

Last edited by bcraft on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
featherhead
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi Finnman
To encourage your hens to use the nest box you prepared, you might start them off with a couple of decoy eggs. Buy a couple of wooden duck eggs for crafts and place them in the nest. I do this every year to keep the girls from laying their eggs in the barn loft. So far, it has worked flawlessly.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Most of my nest boxes are made from plastic barrel ends and I have a seperate one for each hen. They all usually pick the same one but they at least have there choice and I also pick the eggs every day I havent tried to let them hatch there own for quit a few years.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » General Discussion