Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  sight barrier
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing     
kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote

What do you guys use to devide the pens so birds cant see each other?
I want to do something in each pen and want something inexpensive.... but somthing that will last longer than 1 season.
THANKS

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Hi Kat
I use a roll of heavy landscape fabric, the type you use in gardens. If you get the fabric type (not the plastic), it will last a long time. We've had a couple of sight barriers up for 3 years. They will need to be replaced after the spring storm season, but this fabric has held up for 3 years. Hang it with pig rings, about every 2 feet.

And a photography bonus - when your whites display in front of that black fabric, it provides a very dramatic photo op.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote

I learn something from almost every post i read. I am getting ready to build 10 x 30 pens for each pair and it never occurred to me i would have to put up sight barriers. One question i thought of is, my third pair, which or whites, i am totally sure are male and female. if not they are both females. would it hurt to put one with each of the other two pairs, hence one cock and two hens? Or does it have to be one on one?
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote

Miss Zoe wrote:
I learn something from almost every post i read.

Oh good Miss Zoe.... That is what we are here for!!. Laughing

I was thinking I would use the landscape fabric this year, but wanted to see if you all are using anything else. I'll probably get that put up this weekend. My sebastopol geese really need it now. Those ganders used to be so sweet, but now that the girls are laying the ganders are almost vicious!

We mulched a couple pens over the weekend.... will do a few more next weekend. The mud here is SOOO bad after the snow and ice melted. I felt really bad for the birds. The mulch helped so much!.... I wish I did it last year. We had a huge rain storm last night and the mulch held up beautifully.

UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote

Hi Miss Zoe
Males are happier when they have 2-3 females with them. (The females are happier too.) And you'll get many more eggs/chicks with a trio.

Looking forward to hearing more about your birds.

UPA MEMBER
UPA MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the info on mulch. It is soooo wet right now in East Texas. Is there a certain kind you use? I wouldn't think the dyed would be good for the peafowl. I can get cedar,cypress and the undyed,plain. I would appreciate input as I have got to do something about my pens this weekend.
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Housing