Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Will a peahen foster another hens chicks ?
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
gourdlady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I moved both hens with their nests to safe pens. ( I free range) Girl's eggs hatched 2 days after the move as anticipated. Peaches however had just started to set and had 3 weeks to go. After the move she abandoned the eggs. I tried giving her a few of Girl's babies but after a few minutes she pecked one and I panicked. Is it at all likely she might still foster if I try again. I have since given her back her freedom. I know she will nest again soon but I don't want more chicks and I know she will be distraught without having young to raise.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote

A chick will bond with the hen that hatched it just as soon as its fuzz dries and it can walk in front of the hatching hen. After this has happened it is asking for murder to try changing mothers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote

I am sure you are speecking of peahens.
I have two small banty hens that I gave total of 4 peahen eggs to, in one nest.
All 4 hatched and each hen claimed two babies. Two hatched 3 days ahead of the others.
One of the hens is really mean and bites the heck out of me everytime I feed and water.
I got tired of all that and gave her chicks [the older ones] to the hen with the newest chicks.
Gentle chicken loved the new babies but they were not happy with new Mom. I left them alone for a few hours and now everyone is very happy and content with the new family.
Only one mad is the first chicken hen.
My birds are too young to lay their own eggs so a friend gives me eggs, I always use the banty hens to hatch the eggs for me. Don't need an incubator with these sweet hens.
They also raised quineas, ducks, turkey and even Pharaoh quail for me.
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote

A keeper of poultry needs tough hands Razz I can ignore a hen or peahen trying to eat me alive but will NOT tolerate it if one is removing feathers or skin from another bird. My nose can not
endure the smell of blood on feathers Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care