Username:   Password:   

-- All views and opinions expressed in this forum belong to individual UPA members and are not necessarily those of the UPA nor the Board of Directors.--
Index  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  Profile  Register
  Removing eggs from setting peahen
Jump to:    
  Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care     
deenibh3112

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote

I am living in Ireland and have two two year old pea hens. One had been setting for 2weeks and the other hadn't yet finished laying her clutch.
This morning at 5am I heard my 'setting' peahen crying in distress. I ran to her nest to discover it was empty, all the eggs gone, and feathers scattered around her nest- The fox had taken her eggs.
At 11am I went to check my 'laying' peahens nest to discover that she had began setting today. And I am really fearing for her safety because I know the fox will be back again tonight. Her nest is on a bank an it would be very difficult to cage her in this position.
I have ordered an incubator which will arrive tomorrow.
My question is, if I remove the eggs tonight(so that she will leave her nest and roost somewhere safe) how long will I have to put them in the incubator before the chicks die? She has been setting for 9 and a half hours at the most. If I leave her on them for the night the fox will get her and the eggs.
Please help
D C T
UPA Forum Moderator
UPA Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote

I wish that I could help you but I think I am too late to help this time. I live in the state of Georgia, USA where there are so many predators that my peafowl and chickens have to be kept in secure pens. I can tell you that after you take a peahen's eggs she will probably not lay eggs again in same place if she can find another place to hide them. Right now I have a peahen incubating her eggs in a rain shelter inside a pen. Last year a snake got into pen and was after this peahen's peachicks. Fortunately I heard the sounds of distress so it was the snake that died. But the peahen was so upset that she began attacking hjer own babies in the dark so that I had to bring the family to a pet box in my kitchen and leave the light on for the poor confused peahen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic The United Peafowl Association - www.peafowl.org Forum Index » Incubation, Hatching, and Peachick care